Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7612
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I removed my old HP8500 from my system and somehow lost the OCR function for my 7612.

How can I reinstall it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @LMSHP

That's all I have got at the moment 😞 Try to uninstall the read ReadIris and reinstall the HP software and check.

If the issue persists, please contact the HP Phone support for further assistance.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Thank you!

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up" for my assistance. Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello, @LMSHP – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

I understand that you lost the OCR feature after uninstalling the old printer. I believe the OCR software might also have been uninstalled by mistake.

Hence, I would suggest you install the OCR software from here: http://hp.care/2iaMpEq

Download and install the software. Restart your printer and the computer for the program to take effect.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Really appreciate it.

I've dowloaded the software (although it kept hanging), rebooted the PC and restarted the printer but when I try to use OCR and save the file I get an error:

HP error.jpg

Any ideas what is happening ?

Regards

Leon

HP Recommended

Hello @LMSHP

Thanks for the update!

The OCR application is used to edit the document which is in "editable" or rich text format. You can only use this option in the documents which are in word format. Meaning, you can use the OCR application to scan and edit a document which is printed in "MS Word" format but not a document which is hand written or carry images. The page that you are trying to scan looks like a non-editable scan.

Try scanning a printed document and try saving it as a .doc or .rtf format while saving the scan. That should help you edit the document at a later time.

Go to http://hp.care/2eezHlV and check "Save a document scan as an editable text file" for more details.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for that, but I've been scanning newspaper clippings for ages and it always worked.
I'm not sure if ReadIris is actually connected with the 7612.
After installing from the link you sent, I've got a separate ReadIris icon on the desktop and when the program opens it wants to activate as below:

ReadIris.jpg

It then says I've only got 10 days of usage left.

So how do I get it to activate through the HP software ?

Regards

Leon

HP Recommended

Hello @LMSHP

Thanks for the update!

The OCR will be included in the full feature drivers. Try the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL47659/mp-115382-3/OJ7610_971-2.exe to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Once done try scanning using the HP Scan app that comes with the printer software (Double click on the printer icon on the desktop to get the HP scan) Try saving the scan file as .doc or .rtf and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Wow, that looked so good, during the install it said that ReadIris was already installed and all looked good but when I scanned and tried to save the file I still got the previous error.

Grrrr...

This is really driving me crazy !

Regards

Leon

HP Recommended

Hello @LMSHP

That's all I have got at the moment 😞 Try to uninstall the read ReadIris and reinstall the HP software and check.

If the issue persists, please contact the HP Phone support for further assistance.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Thank you!

Feel free to click on the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up" for my assistance. Please let me know the results and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

BTW I can scan and save pdf and jpeg files - it's only rtf that fails.

HP Recommended

OK I've uninstalled all HP apps and reinstalled and it works !

Thanks for your help and persistance.

Regards

Leon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.