Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hello,

I just recently purchased this OfficeJet printer about 2 weeks ago, though I set it up about 2 days ago. For some reason this printer will not accept the black ink cartridge that came with it, but accepts the color cartridge perfectly fine. The error message when I insert the black cartridge reads- "Remove and reinstall the selected ink cartridge, making sure that it is correctly installed. Then press okay."

At this point I am currently printing everything with just the colored cartridge, so obviously I am installing the ink correctly.

It is way to late to return this printer, and I am willing to just buy another ink cartridge though i'd like to know if this is an internal issue, or could it be the ink cartridge itself?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @giveroflife,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet 5740 will not print black. I am happy to help you with this issue!

Please see the following guides:

1. HP ENVY 5640, 5660, 7640 and Officejet 5740, 8040 e-All-in-One Printer Series - A 'Cartridges Missin....
  2. HP Printers - Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink or Prints Blank Pages.

Hope these guides are helpful! :generic: 

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Same problem.  Went to the site you suggested.  There they said they had to verify my printer.  It did.  Then it said it was compiling data re my printer and that it would take three minutes.  That was more than three hours ago and it is still compiling infor re me?  I think I will let it run overnight and see if it will give up.  LOL

Hp is very arrogant and overbearingly assuming it is of vastly superior importance.  An attitute that will continue to run

it into the ground.  Sorry for that.

Jack

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem, however, I cann´t even get in the site refered. SHAME ON YOU HP!!!!!

How can you atract more clients if you despise your actual clients?????

Last time I buy HP

HP Recommended

When you pull off the tape from the new cartridge, sometimes there is a peice of paper that doesn't come off the cartridge.  Take out the cartridge and make sure there is not a peice of paper covering the contacts or the print head.  That was the problem with mine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.