Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610

I was replacing HP cartridges when I got this error message:

"One or more cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace with new cartridges"

However when I open the cartridge door, I get this error message:

"The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed"

I have read the following:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/How-to-solve-print-head-error-for-Officejet-86...

I tried the restart procedure 5 times with no success. Powers on to same error message and I still can't get cartridge assembly to move over.

Help please!

I saw a similar post to this:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Officejet-8610-carriage-stu...

She posted a reply: "Never mind, I figured it out myself.  I pulled on the large white band behind the roller bar & carriage and the carriage moved to the left so I could remove the new cartridges.  I will return the ink cartridges to Staples and never buy an HP printer again!"

What large white band is she referring to???

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @moozarkgrl ,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you're encountering a frustrating issue with your HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the problem:

Restart the Printer: Turn off your printer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on. This simple step can often resolve temporary issues.

Check Cartridge Installation: Ensure that the cartridges are properly installed. Take them out and reinsert them, making sure they click securely into place. Check for any protective tape or packaging that may not have been removed.

Inspect Cartridges for Damage: Examine the cartridges for any signs of damage, such as leaks or cracks. If you find any, replace the damaged cartridge with a new one.

Clean the Cartridge Contacts: Turn off the printer and disconnect it from the power source. Remove the cartridges and clean the contacts on both the cartridges and inside the printer using a lint-free cloth. Be gentle to avoid damaging the contacts.

Update Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve overall performance.

Reset the Printer: Perform a power reset by unplugging the power cord from the back of the printer and the wall outlet. Wait for at least 60 seconds, then plug it back in and turn the printer on.

Check for Obstructions: Ensure that there are no obstructions in the paper path or around the cartridge area. Sometimes, a small piece of paper or debris can cause sensor issues.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.-

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.