Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Inspire 7920e All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

If I want to print a photo (6x4) and follow the instructions to the letter on loading the paper, I am unable to change the printer settings on the control panel because only the Main Tray is shown as available, the Photo Paper option is greyed out.
It does seem possible to get at this option through the HP Smart App via a fairly roundabout route but it should be as described in the Printer's User Manual i.e. load the paper; change the paper settings on the printer display.

I notice that there are several older, similar entries on the forum so it is clearly and old issue that HP have chosen to ignore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Let's reset the Printer:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch Setup . 2. Touch Printer Maintenance. 3. Touch Restore. 4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored. 5. Touch Continue.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@RedV68

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

I'd be happy to help.

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for the response. 
Software is up to date on Mac and printer. 
Just loaded 6x4 paper into Photo Tray - display says “Photo Tray empty”

HP Recommended

Were you able to print this size through a photo tray before?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.  It has never worked via the printer (I've only had the printer a short time - since 29th March), I've only got it to work via the HP Smart App.

HP Recommended

Let's reset the Printer:

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch Setup . 2. Touch Printer Maintenance. 3. Touch Restore. 4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored. 5. Touch Continue.

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help - this seems to have solved the problem, although I still cannot get to the paper "options" to show on the Control Panel, everything so far has printed on the correct paper.

HP Recommended

Control panel of the Printer you mean?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes - sometimes, on the printer I am showed the two possible paper sources for a particular print job but the Photo Tray was greyed out (this was what prompted my original query) but now, although it does print on the correct size of paper I can’t get to that “paper source” screen to check whether it is no longer greyed out. 

HP Recommended

Were you able to see these options before?

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.