Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet PRO L7580
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an Officejet Pro L7580 printer which up to recently printed black characters from word, pdf and web pages. I use both winXP and win7 64bit and the printer is in network mode.

I had not used the printer for several months and the printer indicated that the black cartridge had expired. I replaced it with a new 3rd party cartridge as I have been doing since 2010.

The printer did not print the test page black text.

The printer heads were cleaned and the test page failed again.

The printer from the win7 box is now offline.

Web searches suggested that I uninstall the drivers and then re install them. After doing this the printer complains about the new cartridge not being a genuine HP product. The cartridge is within date.

I can successfully ping the network port.

I have now removed and deleted all printer drivers and installed the printer using my original disk – 2009 version. The printer is now on line.

Printing black text still does not work.

I have a second computer with winXP which does not receive updates. This device cannot get the printer to print text in black.

The black does print when I print a picture. If I screen grab a pdf document, convert it to a jpg  the content will work. It appears the ink cartridge is compatible with my printer but some other process is stopping the text from printing.

I am now more than 10 hours into trying to solve this problem.

Can you please advise me on how I can rectify this problem, given I have

1. Cleaned and reinstalled the 2019 updates
  2. Cleaned and reinstalled the original 2009 drivers
  3. Have a new within date compatible black print cartridge
  4. Able to ping the printer
  5. Verified the printer is online
  6. Researched all remedial options and
  7. Are unable to print from a 2nd winXP device which has had no updates since Microsoft stopped updates.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's clearly visible that you have no black print at all. No matter what you do on your computers you will not have black printed because you have printer issue, not a computer issue.

You will need to buy and replace a black-yellow printhead if it's are still available due to the old age of the printer. The cost of the one printhead will probably be around 50% price of the new printer, so you might need to consider getting a new printer instead of investing money in this one. 

The printer prints black when printing photos because it mixes colour to create black. if you look closer it's not 100% black, it's a mixture cyan magenta and yellow.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Print yourself print quality from printers front panel to see will it print black text on the print quality page.

To print use following path on the printers front panel:

SETUP -> PRINT REPORT -> PRINT QUALITY PAGE -> OK

Scan print quality page and post here so we can see.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

OfficeProL7580_qualityPage_1.jpg

HP Recommended

Here is a jpg screen shot which contains black ink.

OfficeProL7580_jpg_2.jpg

HP Recommended

It's clearly visible that you have no black print at all. No matter what you do on your computers you will not have black printed because you have printer issue, not a computer issue.

You will need to buy and replace a black-yellow printhead if it's are still available due to the old age of the printer. The cost of the one printhead will probably be around 50% price of the new printer, so you might need to consider getting a new printer instead of investing money in this one. 

The printer prints black when printing photos because it mixes colour to create black. if you look closer it's not 100% black, it's a mixture cyan magenta and yellow.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I found this on a HP web site 

HP believes in fair competition and does not employ technology preventing the use of refilled and remanufactured cartridges. Our printers with the dynamic security feature may not operate with a cartridge that does not include an Original HP chip.

Check back on this post for more details as they become available.

Thanks

Bill_F

Community Manager

I am an HP employee

HP Recommended

Also I have found this

Even though US Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and European rules on fair competition make it clear that printer manufacturers must not block using non-original inks and toners, and even warranty must not be void just by the mere fact of using non-original material, It’s becoming increasingly difficult to use alternative print material.

HP Recommended

The print head appears to ink correctly, and is clean. There is no visible damage.

HP Recommended

It's not working correctly, the printhead failed, clean printhead and no damage on printhead doesn't mean anything in this case. Printhead failed and needs to be replaced. I have seen this in the past years more than you can think.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

There appears to be a lot of net chatter over no black text from inkjet printers.

this was found

UPDATE 13.10.2016: HP finally surrendered after massive complaints of customers and released official firmware updates disabling the blocking mechanism for older and non-genuine cartridges.

from

https://www.brozkeff.net/2016/09/01/how-to-downgrade-firmware-on-hp-officejet-pro-8610-to-allow-usin...

can someone please confirm that my printer model has not been targeted with a firmware update ? I guess the I can buy a genuine HP cartridge for about $100 AU  (or a new printer)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.