Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart B110
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

- Using HP Photosmart B110

- Using Tower/Desktop computer running Windows 7 64-bit

- Printer/Scanner connected via WiFi to router

- Printer part works, I can print to this device

- Scanner can be accessed via device webpage.

I want the Solutions Center scanner software.

I can't install Solutions Center on Windows 7 64-bit. Installer stops and says I have USB hardware and driver issues. USB on my tower is USB2 and USB3 ports. All work perfectly and Windows Device Manager has no issue with USB drivers/devices.

How can I install the scanner software (or all of Solutions Center software)?

Have tried looking in %Temp% for scanner instsaller files, nothing seems to work. (taken from other posts where Solutions Center won't install). Computer is in fine working order, so my only option at the moment is to scan via device webpage, but don't find this the best. And would like to use software. Also third party software and windows 'fax and scanner' software doesn't see the B110 as connected (probably because it's on a network and not directly plugged into a usb port), so both of these options are out.

Please HP forum, help. Is there a way to by-pass the usb part? I use this device on a network. Windows 7 sees it (although only as a printer), so would also like windows to see it as a scanner as well.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

Thanks for getting back again.

I have been speaking with some coworkers regarding this and this issue seems to be more a Windows OS issue if the computer is showing USB related errors and the installation had not even reached the point where it asks you to select your connection type.

This may be an inquiry better suited for the Microsoft Community Forums as my resources have been exhausted regarding this issue.

I hope you are able to find the solution you need.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your installation inquiry.

I understand that you are trying to scan from an HP Photosmart Wireless e-All-in-One Printer to a Windows 7 PC, but you are unable to install the HP Solution Center due to a USB related hardware and driver issues. I would like to help.

To get the HP Scan software onto the computer you will need to install the HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers. If the printer is already on your wireless network you should be able to download and install the software. The HP Solution Center is part of the Full Feature Software. There is no way to install just the HP Scan software itself because it is part of the Full Feature Software package.

Once the software and drivers have been installed you should be able to access the HP Scan Software through the HP Solution Center. Here is a support document that can be used for reference - Scan from the Computer with HP Solution Center (Windows).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi rb011,

Thanks for your reply. To be clear, i mentioned that i can't install the "Solutions Center", this is the same as what you have suggested. Ie it is not just the scanner program.

I went to the same download page you referred to and downloaded the full package. Then trying to install, the installer stops and gives me the error message i originally posted about.

I unfortunately had my old hp pavilion notebook die on me over the weekend (laptops don't usually last more than 3 years for me, this one passed on age 71/2 so no big deal) and i bought a new hp laptop (sorry the model escapes me. At work, laptop at home) with windows 10. This new laptop has usb3 and i think usb2 (like my tower/desktop) and i again downloaded the full version solutions center and installed it. The printer was on, connected via wifi from the router. It worked. No usb issues, no fuss.

So is there a reason why the hp laptop likes the install and not the desktop?

Surely this isn't a "compatibility with hp only" thing?

Again thanks for your reply, i don't think it warrants a thumbs up (yet), as no new ideas or most importantly a working solution has been put forward. But i am hopeful. At the very least if i need to scan, i can do so with the new laptop. But this is not a solution. There has to be a way to make the desktop and the installer play nice together...

HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You mentioned that this printer is already on a wireless network, and you were able to install it on a Windows 10 laptop. Are you trying to install this printer on the Windows 7 desktop with a USB cable or via WiFi?

Please reply at your convenience.

Thanks.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm trying with wifi. Only as it's a pain in the rear to plug it into a computer with usb. And just to repeat, every time this printer has been used or has had the software installed, it's been via wifi.

HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

It is weird that you are trying to install the printer over WiFi, but the desktop Windows 7 computer is giving you a USB hardware and driver error.

I would try performing a level three uninstall on any HP Printer related software on the Windows 7 Desktop PC and then try to complete the installation again by downloading and running the HP Printer Install Wizard. This tool will find the most recent version of the printers software and help with the installation.

Here is a support document that can help with the level-three uninstall - Perform a level-three uninstall. It was original designed for use with Windows XP but the steps should be basically the same.

Again, after that try using the HP Printer Install Wizard for the installation.

Please let me know how it goes, or if you need more assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

No dice! Did L3 uninstall, followed the advice page and redid the wizard install and got the same USB error message.

HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

If I am understanding this correctly, you are getting through installing the software items. Then you select you select wireless for the connection type. The software sees the printer with its IP address, but then it fails to install the network printer and shows the USB error, even though there is no USB cable connected. Please let me know if it is different.

I you have been able to get though the software items part of the installation, try adding the printer with a Standard TCP\IP Port.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message.:)

Thanks!

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

No, i'm not getting to install anything. Here's what happens. I download the software installer. Then i launch it. A cd disk spinning image appears. Next the wizard displays the welcome page. I select install. Next the wizard starts to do it's thing. Then another input page appears with a 'next' or 'continue' button (this page explains stuff needed for install. Sorry i'm a bit vague here, i'm at work and remembering as best as i can. But this page isn't too significant). After i accept the wizard does more background stuff. Soon after i will get the error page and my only option is to cancel and exit. So you see i don't get to install anything.

I must say at this stage, thanks for your patience and any/all help. This is a bit frustrating but chipping away at this issue with help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi @jedi11csa,

Thanks for getting back again.

I have been speaking with some coworkers regarding this and this issue seems to be more a Windows OS issue if the computer is showing USB related errors and the installation had not even reached the point where it asks you to select your connection type.

This may be an inquiry better suited for the Microsoft Community Forums as my resources have been exhausted regarding this issue.

I hope you are able to find the solution you need.

Thanks.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.