Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
I have my Photosmart Premium 309a duplex printouts scaled down to about 80% for all printouts, from all applications in Windows 7 x32 and x64, and Windows XP, and the same driver version.

Normal (single side) printout is fine.

Machine has Windows 7 x64 SP1 with all patches installed, and HP printer driver 14.1 for Photosmart Premium 309a.

This has been described also in another post with no answer so far ... :Crying:

HP Recommended

This is what I just found to be an effective workaround. Select Print Preview. This will allow you to rescale the print size to properly fill the page. Then you can select print, and the resultant print will reflect true page fit.

Louis. . .

HP Recommended
Thanks ... Are you talking about the preview on printing preferences or the applications? On printing preferences I don't see a way to adjust the output ... On each individual application that will be scaling the print out via trial and error, right? If so, not the kind of thing I call a long term solution ... Also, it doesn't work in Adobe Reader for example as I cannot scale the output in the application print preview.

I hope HP gives proper attention to this urgently ... 😞
HP Recommended

I am talking about, like with the browser, clicking on the print preview option on the file pulldown manual with the browsers or clicking on print preview in the print option menu. Then, if the print preview has been checked, the preview mode is invokes, and there the scaling options in its toolbar is available to adjust sizing as needed. Then, when on the preview toolbar is selected, then it is back to the normal print option menu page as usual.

Louis. . .

HP Recommended

Hey, I am owner of HP 1320 and have some issues as well:

1. Printer will not print  margins evenly. I set example in Word frame of page and in print preview from all sides it is 1 cm. After printing the left margin is about 0.5 mm from paper edge. Right is about 1.5. So overall print is shifted. How to repair this?

2. What driver should I choose for my printer? PCL 5, 5e, 6 or maybe Universal Driver? I use currently PCL 6. Choosing PS driver made the print is shifted more to 2 mm from the elft, seems physical margins of the printer.

I edited to test driver settings:

{
                *PrintableArea: PAIR(9500, 13629)
                *PrintableOrigin: PAIR(75, 200)
                *CursorOrigin: PAIR(75, 200)
                *Command: CmdSelect
                {
                    *Order: PAGE_SETUP.30
                    *Cmd: =ubyte_array =sA4Paper =attr_ubyte =MediaSize =BeginPage
+                         =sint16_xy %l{((200*TextXRes)/1200)}%l{((200*TextYRes)/1200)} =attr_ubyte =PageOrigin =SetPageOrigin
                }
            }

I changed from 200 to 75 and now it prints in the middle of page but then duplex is wrong.... cause the second side of duplexed side has wrong margins.

What the hell is wrong, how to fix that? 🙂 I am sick of this shifted print!

HP Recommended

Thanks Louis ...

While that will make the text bigger, the actual amount of space used on the page will not change when printing duplex ... it will still use only 80% or so of the vertical space on, for example, an A4 page ...

Also, associated to that first page prints a little further down from the top, and the back of the page printes almost at the edge of the page. In both cases, the amount of space on the page used is the same ...

So all in all, I think it is the HP driver that is creating the issue, and you can't fix it at the application level. 😞

HP, please .... !!!

HP Recommended

Any alternative drivers that can set a custom "ink drying" timer for officeject 6500+ dualplex?

HP Recommended

@gspbeetle wrote:

Any alternative drivers that can set a custom "ink drying" timer for officeject 6500+ dualplex?

What operating system?  In Windows 7 there is an adjustment for Dry Time in the Advanced tab of Printer Properties.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

My HP Office Jet 6480 All-In-One worked perfectly on my old Windows XP system.  I just installed a new Windows 7 64-bit system and downloaded & reinstalled my 6480.  But the duplex printing no longer works. 

I followed the directions from HP - in fact, several times.  From "Devices & Printers" I right-click on the "HP Officejet J6400" icon and then select "Printer Properties".  I click on the "Device Settings" tab and the screen shows that the "Duplex Unit" is "Not Installed".  I change this  to "Installed" and click "Apply" and finally click "OK".  But in the instant just before the "Printer Properties" window disappears, I can see the option chainge back to "Not Installed" and, sure enough, when I right-click the icon again and go to "Printer Properties-Device Settings" the "Duplex Unit" again shows "Not Installed".  I can't get past this roadblock, so when I try "Printing Preferences" it won't even give me the option of "Automatic" duplex printing.  I tried uninstalling everything, re-downloading, and re-installing, but got the same result.  I downloaded the diagnostic tool from the HP website, and it shows everything is fine.  But, of course, it's not fine...

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

An update to my 5/27 posting above about the HP Office Jet 6480:  (1) Duplex 2-sided printing works perfectly when using the 6480 as a stand-alone copy machine; (2) Still prints only single-sided from the Windows & pc.  I'm open to all suggestions!  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.