Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi there, I did evreything you said and it was going great, til I got to where I had to restart my laptop. I did that and when I was booted up, I just had a pop up from windows 10 asking fr me to download it. I just deleted that and waited, but nothing happened. I went to control panel and when I put my cursor over the image of the printer, it said "Status not connected. When I put my cursor over the image of my laptop, it says ""status driver is unavailable, status driver error.  So I'm stuck there. Do I somehow get a driver from somewhere? Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

@vancough

Printer:

Drivers and Software - HP ENVY 5544 All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

File name: EN5540_72.exe

Release details

Released: May 8, 2015

Version 36.0

It really is not supposed to be so difficult - I am sorry the process has become so frustating.  :indifferent:

The interruption of the Windows 10 pop-up may have interrupted the final phase of the installation.

It may be easiest to download the Full Feature Software package and re-do the installation.

Unless you have set the default download folder to something else, the download will likely put the package into your Downloads folder.

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

NOTE: If the computer has been recently migrated to Windows 10: Create a Restore Point > Download a fresh copy of the Full Feature software > Remove the existing printer software > Reboot > Install Full Feature Software > Reboot

Section(s) of interest include:

• Preparation
  • Extras and Optional > HP Information, Diagnostics, and Installation Help
  • The Windows 10 Printer Frenzy (includes link to TCP/IP Port setup)
  • Restart Everything
  • Download and Installation
  • Remove Printer Software
  • See who and what is on your network

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi fur, Yes it is frustrating, but I'll get over it  🙂 I reinstalled it all and got to restart laptop. the windows 10 pop up didn't appear this time, so I just waited...and waited, nothing happened. The funny thing about it, is that it says in control panel that the printer is not connected,. but it must be, because I can scan from the printer  to my docs with no cable, also I can print a photo from my laptop to the printer. It's just the old problem of it not going to the 6x4 printer tray. The quality of the photos is very good. considering it's on A4 ordinary paper. I'm a bit wary about re doing it again. My mind is going back to the printer properties, device setting, where the "photo tray installed" is greyed out and wondering whether that is my problem or on the image of my laptop, it says "Status, driver is unavailable, status drive error" Thanks for your help and patience Warm regards Vancough PS. I'm still on windows 8.1

HP Recommended

@vancough

I suspect part of the issue is that I am failing to ask the right question(s).  Mutter, grumble.

The Full Feature Software installation:

After the initial installation of the program , the final connection and setup for the Printer program continues (and finishes) after the program asks you to Restart the computer.  Without that final "push" to complete the setup, I am not at all sure the program would install completely.

I am unsure the cause - it seems as if the program is losing connection.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, remind me --

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGWhich program are you using to print the 4X6 photo?

Print - Programs_and_Methods     

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGHave you assigned a static IP address for (at least) the printer?

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGConsider setting the router channel to 6 or 11 (as opposed to "Auto")

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGThese programs (free) provide information about who and what is connected to your network.

From Nirsoft

Wireless Network Watcher v1.70                              WifiInfoView v1.95

While the information does not really give you an answer to resolving the printer program installation or tray issue, everything helps when you are looking to fill in the gaps.  In particular, it is nice to have a "map" of the wireless connections as seen from your computer.

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGThe condition of the network is (of course) important; do consider (if not already done) that the relative condition of your Operating System impacts installations and how programs interact and intregate into the File System.

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGEnsure Windows Updates are current: Check / Run Windows Updates

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGEnsure HP Drivers (or other vendor's Drivers) are installed - check the Device Manager for "missing" drivers (small yellow triangle Yellow_Status.png  next to driver name)

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGIf you have not yet done so, restart everything thing - including the router

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

Section Restart Everything

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon. I've had the printer for over 2 weeks now and still can't get the 4x6 photo printer going. I appreciate the effort you did to help me. I really do think that there was some sort of fault on the printer, so I have returned it and bought another a different one. I will be trying to set it up today.  Thanks very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@vancough

@vancough wrote:

Hi Dragon. I've had the printer for over 2 weeks now and still can't get the 4x6 photo printer going. I appreciate the effort you did to help me.  I really do think that there was some sort of fault on the printer, so I have returned it and bought another a different one. I will be trying to set it up today.  Thanks very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

You are welcome.

Excellent -- I believe a replacement printer is a good idea.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.