Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have HP ENVY 4500 All-In-One wireless printer, iMac OS X 10.9.1 desktop, and HP Win7 laptop. It prints all document file formats fine, except PDFs. When I try to print a page of a PDF doc't, via Adobe Reader (11.0.07), it prints 6 tiny equally spaced portions of the original PDF page onto a single sheet. All six portions are of the same area of the top right quadrant of the original PDF page. I've tried numerous portrait, landscape and size configurations, but to no avail. It won't print PDF files at all from my iMac and PC browsers. I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer and its driver a couple times. It installs OK without error messages, but it still won't print PDFs. I also don't get any error messages when I try printing PDFs. I don't see any printer documentation that came with the printer to say that this HP All-In-One can't print PDF doc'ts, and it seems to me it would print PDFs up until several weeks ago. Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was eventually able to print PDFs. But it has been so long ago since it was fixed that I no longer remember what the solution was. But four possibilities come to mind: (1) Made sure the "print file as image" option was turned on; (2) Re-installed printer driver; (3) Re-installed Acrobat Reader and ensured that browser and word processing s/w extensions, if any, were selected correctly for my printer; (4) Corrected an improper paper layout, type, quality, or size option that may have resulted in a layout or format different from what should be "standard" for PDFs. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that. But if I should determine exactly what I might have done to get PDF printing to work properly, I'll get right back to you. BTW, I definitely did not have to resort to any intermediate file conversion service or s/w to transfer my PDFs to some other printable format. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is anyone there? I posted this 2 days ago, and no response yet. Everything works fine with my wireless ENVY 4500, except it won't print PDFs. Should I be asking Adobe forums instead???

HP Recommended

Hi, did you find a solution?  Else I think we're both scammed.  Do you pay to convert your PDFs maybe?

HP Recommended

Hello,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to print PDF documents. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

I would suggest to try and print the document as an image: Print PDF as an image.

Try printing a page from the printer's manual to see if you have the same results: Envy 4500.

If you are still having issues, try the steps listed in this document for Troubleshoot PDF printing in Acrobat and Reader.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". Keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

fIn the open .pdf when you click on the icon for "print" a popup with properties opens.  While I couldn't find the function to print as image (maybe I have to search somewhere else, but it's not important anymore), I checked the small boxes for

1. gray tones and for

2. economize

Then I got the print without problems.  Normally there is still enough ink although the ink containers are quite empty.

Afterwards, I saw that this is opened with Acrobat R

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @goalsurfer.

Since you were able to print the PDF in grayscale, most likely the issue was with the low cartridges. The document provided in the previous post should show how to set the Print as Image setting.

If you have any further issues just let me know. Please let me know what operating system you are using.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I was eventually able to print PDFs. But it has been so long ago since it was fixed that I no longer remember what the solution was. But four possibilities come to mind: (1) Made sure the "print file as image" option was turned on; (2) Re-installed printer driver; (3) Re-installed Acrobat Reader and ensured that browser and word processing s/w extensions, if any, were selected correctly for my printer; (4) Corrected an improper paper layout, type, quality, or size option that may have resulted in a layout or format different from what should be "standard" for PDFs. Sorry I can't be any more specific than that. But if I should determine exactly what I might have done to get PDF printing to work properly, I'll get right back to you. BTW, I definitely did not have to resort to any intermediate file conversion service or s/w to transfer my PDFs to some other printable format. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.