Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

can anyone tell me if

Is it better to:
  1. scan my 11x14" artwork at 300 res, then resample to 12x15.3",

or
  2. to scan it at 600 res and then resample it down to 11x14" at 300 res?

(reason is that the publisher wants 300 res of at least 12" on shortest side. My only 2 scan choices are 300res or 600, nothing in between.)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @coatl

Is it better to:
1. scan my 11x14" artwork at 300 res, then resample to 12x15.3",   -

IMHO, Would be better to scan at actual size if possible, resampling may lose some clarity.

or

In order to scan 600 res, you would need to use certain settings, the link provided shows you how to do that. (else the max res is only 300 if the settings are not correct)

Hope that clarifies and do let us know which one works for you, so that others with the same problem can benefit.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Do view this post on how to scan 1200 dpi if your printer supports that :

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/quot-Add-Scan-pages-quot-for-resolution-up...

Basically needs to use flatbed (scan glass).

Try out to see which works best for you.

Thanks.

HP Recommended
hi green turtle,
thanks but why did you give me this link??

my questions were:

Is it better to:
1. scan my 11x14" artwork at 300 res, then resample to 12x15.3",
or

this article link says HOW to scan, and LARGER resolution than i am even asking for.

please explain?

or answer my questions if you can.

Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi @coatl

Is it better to:
1. scan my 11x14" artwork at 300 res, then resample to 12x15.3",   -

IMHO, Would be better to scan at actual size if possible, resampling may lose some clarity.

or

In order to scan 600 res, you would need to use certain settings, the link provided shows you how to do that. (else the max res is only 300 if the settings are not correct)

Hope that clarifies and do let us know which one works for you, so that others with the same problem can benefit.

Thanks.

HP Recommended
thanks green turtle!

so ya, to clarify:
my scanner allows 300, 600, and 1200 res scans. so my 2 choices would be those 300 and 600.

so basically, it sounds like you say that if you were me, and needed approximately a 350 res scan, it's better to aim way up to 600 and then resize the image down using photo editing software, instead of aiming slightly down to 300 and resampling up.

if this is what you mean, then yes it works,
thanks! 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi @coatl,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Another way of looking at it is if you're shooting a photo and want to print A3 size, it definitely would be better to shoot at high res (e.g. 20 MP) so you can crop out the areas you don't need without losing much resolution and resize it to A3 instead of shooting at shooting at e.g. 2MP and resizing it to A3 (which will be grainy)

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.