Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C7280
iOS

Scanning to Photosmart C7280 not possible after upgrading to Mac OS Sierra (10.12) 

Was working with OS El Capitan prior to update. Not working with HP Easy Scan either.  Printing capabilities OK.

Printer/scanner not visible as a scanner in any scanning app - Apple or HP

Another printer/scanner, Photosmart 5510d, works OK after the upgrade. 

I have reinstalled drivers, rebooted everything and tried all recommendations in HP websites but without success.

Help would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Bingo!

10.12.2 has fixed my problem with the Photosmart 3300 as well. Normally I'd not have installed an update so soon - I usually wait for any reports of problems to surface - but this sounded worth trying. And having gone to 10.12.2 and deleted and re-added my printer, it now shows up in system preferences as a scanner as well as a printer. And I can scan from there. That's all I need.

I can scan directly from system preferences, which is what I normally do. I also checked that I can scan from ImageCapture. Interestingly, the only thing I tried so far that didn't work was scanning from HP Easy Scan, which says "scanner reported an error" - "HP Photosmart 3300 series is currently unavailable". However, I can live without that. I've not yet tried to scan directly over a USB connection, but I asume that will still work.

I'm still seeing 4.0.5 as the driver version, so I still don't understand what happened during the 5.0 installation.

I hope that turns out to be the case for everyone with this problem. I don't see anything in the release notes for 10.12.2 that seem relevant, but it certainly made a difference on my laptop.

And I think I should appologise for having assumed that this was something HP needed to fix.

Thanks, everyone.

View solution in original post

124 REPLIES 124
HP Recommended

Hey @GardenOak, and welcome to the HP Forums! 

Although there is no full feature software and drive available for your C7280 and Mac 10.12, the Apple Software Update should give you basic features. 

If your printer was previously set up on your Mac, it should continue to work normally after upgrading to Sierra. Depending on the age of your Mac and printer, you might need to scan in a different way after the upgrade. For more information on scanning, go to Scanning from a Mac Computer.

The following compatibility list continues to be updated for Sierra as drivers become available. If the driver type listed for your printer is unavailable or inaccurate, check this page regularly for updated information.

For a first time printer setup with Sierra, use the following resources to install the driver from HP:

• Go to 123.hp.com, enter your printer model number, then follow the on-screen instructions to install and set up the printer.

• Download and run the HP Easy Start app to install and set up the printer.

Source

I suggest checking the C7280 in your System Preferences to see if you are using an HP Driver or the Apple AirPrint Driver. Which ever one you are using, try deleting the printer and re-adding it again using the opposite driver. If you require assistance with this let me know and I will provide you with instructions/screenshots. 

If this satisfies your inquiry, please be sure to click the Accept as Solution below to mark your post as solved. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. 

Cheers! 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi

I am having the same problem with photosmart 5520. It will scan no problem but will not save to anything HD, external HD. I have installed new drivers, installed as new and nothing is working. Ridiculous and drivimg me insane. HELP!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hey @raiken

I understand you can scan but can not save your scans. I see that you have tried installing new rivers and installed it as new but nothing seems to help. Have you tried removing the driver and software? If not please complete the following steps and let me know the outcome of your efforts:

1. From the computer desktop, double-click the Macintosh HD  icon.

2. Double-click the Library folder.

3. Double-click the Printers folder.

4. Right-click the HP folder, and then select Move to Trash.

5. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.

6. Double-click the PPDs  folder.

7. Double-click the Contents  folder.

8. Double-click the Resources  folder.

9. Locate your printer in the printer list, and then right-click on your printer and select Move to Trash.

10. When prompted, type the Administrator name and Password for the computer, and then click OK. Wait for authentication to complete.

11. Click the Trash icon on the taskbar, click the Empty  button, and then click OK to empty the trash.

NOTEBy clicking OK, all items in your trash will be permanently deleted from your computer. To delete one item in the trash, click that item to highlight it, and then click OK.

12. On the upper-left corner of the computer desktop, click the Apple menu icon, and then clickSystem Preferences on the drop-down menu.

13. Double-click Print & Scan.

14. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button to delete it.

15. Restart the computer and now you have a fresh start.

16. Re-add the printer.

17. Scan and try saving. 

Please be sure to let me know the result. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I have followed all the steps you suggest and again when it comes to save a document to a folder, I can navigate to where I want to save it etc but the 'save' button is never highlighted and I cannot save the document still. 

Any other ideas????

HP Recommended

I do have another idea, and I know this might sound silly, but here it goes ...  When you scan, if the crop to is defaulting to 0x0 it will impact your save ability. Although it seems like it is scanning it is actually scanning 0x0 thus nothing is really there to be saved.

Can you post a screenshot of your scan details? Maybe if I can see the settings, I can better assist you.

How to take a screenshot on a Mac.         How to post a picture on the HP Forums.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't help. Just to recap - I have two Macs and two printers on the same network and all was well before I updated one Mac to Sierra. Now the Mac that is still on El Capitan is working as before on either scanner but the one that is updated still works with the Photosmart C5520d but the Mac updated to Sierra does not even 'see' the C7280 as a scanner but does 'see' the C5520. In all cases printing works perfectly. I've tried deleting the printer and adding again, rebooting the Mac, rebooting the C7280 and rebooting network elements (routers etc). Still no go. Any more Suggestions?? Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am new here in this forum but things are happend that makes me using it. Since I have OSX Sierra, 2 of my HP printers are not working, but one of them is scanning. The HP DJ 1050 is scanning....!!!! .... but not printing!!!!!

The same problem with not printing is the other, HP OJ 7000 E809a, not printing anymore.

I have printed out yesterday from both printers the test page, was working, oh wonder. When I am trying to print following appears:

1. print order will be taken

2. the small window I am opening shows me "printing" and the percentage is running

3. then it stops

4. windows show me "printing - waiting for printer become available"

So please, dont write now the usual things how to deinstall and reinstall, plug in plug out, just give me an advise how I can print out again. What is the problem? (I guess with Apple because of the new OSX and HP because there need to be a new driver?) Strangewise, the 3rd printer, HP LJ pro 400 (not color) is working without problem. 

But I need urgently color and more urgent A4

Chris

HP Recommended

Hey @raiken, @GardenOak, and @Chris26121

All I can suggest at this point is to check periodically for product updates. I recommend subscribing to Driver and support eAlerts: Get connected with updates from HP

Cheers!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Same thing happening here.. Upgraded to Mac OS Sierra and my HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-one will only print, but not scan. I'm seeing both symptoms in this thread. I have tried deleting and reinstalling drivers from the HP web site, as well as using the AirPrint drivers, to no effect:

1) The printer queue app no longer shows 'scanner' option. Printing works fine.

2) The  "HP Scan" app fails to connect to the scanner unless I reboot the printer. Even then, once it connects and scans, I am unable to save a scan as the 'save' button does not work.

3) May laptop, which is running El Capitan and connects to the same printer continues to work just fine, so this is clearly a Mac OS X Sierra / driver issue.

thanks,

Bill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.