Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Good question Paul. It never crossed my mind. Even if it works, it will work only when computer is restarted.  If printer is turned OFF and ON, then we need to activate it again.

Open C:/Program Files/HP/<printermodelname>/bin.  Here look for the file which looks familiar to Activate Scan to Computer.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

For a new Envy 100 D410, Activate Scan to Computer has never worked on my Win 7 machine connected via wireless network.  None of the files in the bin folder "looks familiar" -- i.e., none mention scan at all.

Could you be more specific as to what the file should be.  Maybe it's missing.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

If you are using 64 bit operating system, then in of the two locations the file will be present:

C:/Program Files(x86)/HP (or) Hewllet-Packard/<modelname>/bin

C:/Program Files/HP (or) Hewllet-Packard/<modelname>/bin

The file name will be "ActivateScanToComputer".

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

No such file in my computer, in the bin folder or otherwise.  In my x86 Program Files bin folder (but not in the bin folder for the 64-bit program files) I have an application file named "ScanToPCActivationApp"  Opening that gets me this error message:

And no such file is on the installation CD that came with the printer.

On the CD there are dll files for 32-bit and 64-bit, both named "HPScanMiniDrv_LSK410.dll"  Neither of those files seem to be on the computer.

Maybe there's something missing from the installation CD.  I have tried uninstalling the printer files and reinstallling from the CD, to no avail.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue

Scan2PC.png

Bought the All-In-One for this Feature, but I guess all support is going into the Google App integration of the OfficeJet 6500A Plus??? What's with this HP?

HP Recommended

Hi there, I am having the same problem and was wondering if anyone managed to find a workaround to this??

HP Recommended

Hi all,

Just bought an OfficeJet 6500+ AIO.

Stumbled on to the same issue as you guys.. how to get the scan-to-pc thingie activated automatically.

I have found following via Sysinternals Procxp...

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z\bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID CN0CI123RD05JW:NW -scfn "HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (NET)"

This command could be added in the Windows registry in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run".

downside, that it's not silent, you"ll get the messagebox at every boot.

I am looking into an autoit script to run this command in the background and handle the messagebox automatically.

Think this might you all help a bit, while waiting for a new version.

HP Recommended

A partial solution to the very annoying "feature" (polite word for bug) of having to manually reactivate the scan to computer for 8500A OfficeJets after every boot is the following:

1.  Start the "HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A A910_" program.

2.  Double-click on "Scanner Actions" (be careful to not click on any of the underlined text).

3.  Single-click on "Activate Scan to Computer" - this will highlight it without firing it off.

4.  Right-click "Activate Scan to Computer" and select "Create shortcut".

5.  Close the "HP OfficeJet 8500A A910_" program.

6.  Find the "Activate Scan to Computer - Shortcut" shortcut on your desktop.

7.  Rename it if you wish, e.g., "HPOJP8500A Activate Scan to Computer".

8.  Cut it from your desktop and paste it to your Windows Start Menu's Startup folder.

Now each time your computer boots, the program will automatically run.

Unfortunately, this is only a partial solution because the program cannot be made to do its thing silently and go away.

It will remain up on the screen until you or someone clicks the "Close" button, though it does activate automatically.

I hope this helps everyone until HP can fix this issue so that Scan to Computer stays active like it does for the 8500 OfficeJets.  Or better yet - get them both to work using the same widget that stays permanently active!

HP Recommended

The easiest way is to create a shortcut from C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe.

You will then need the name of the printer listed under Control Panel->Printers, and the device ID. The ID can be found under the "Ports" tab for the printers properties.

My Printer Queue Name: HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)

Printer ID under Ports tab: CN157224PN05JZ

Now, modify the properties of your new shortcut and add the following AFTER the last double quote.

-deviceID CN157224PN05JZ:NW -scfn "HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)"

Should look like this.

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f\Bin\ScanToPCActivationApp.exe" -deviceID CN157224PN05JZ:NW -scfn "HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)"

Thats it. You can place the shortcut in the startup folder for automation. You will have to acknowlegdge succesfull activation each time.

HP Recommended

Having a similar problem on the 7500a --- except, neither the computer nor the printer has been turned off/on. It seems that they just "FORGET" that they were connected. Sometimes this happens after a few minutes, or a couple of hours, WHILE the computer is actively being used. The print function still works. This is a bit ridiculous.

Oh, and trying to re-activate without doing a computer restart, or printer restart, give a message that an error occurred, please restart your printer and click activate to try again.............and no, my printer isn't set for power save mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.