Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Terry,

The commercial forums provided no help whatsoever.

I solved the problem myself by installing latest drivers from :

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/10-drivers/54-ralink

It's a shame I had to work out this myself!

Nick

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

Latest drivers available at

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/10-drivers/54-ralink

HP Recommended
customUK are you saying the latest win7 driver fixed your issue on Win8, or just Win7?
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Maybe it will help to other people.

Install last driver, on an example v5.0.35.0 for Windows 8.1, then in regedit need to find "WirelessMode" (example in Windows 8.1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet1\Control\Class\***)

Need to change WirelessMode=3 to WirelessMode=7 then restart Windows.

0: legacy 11b/g mixed
1: legacy 11B only
2: legacy 11A only
3: legacy 11a/b/g mixed
4: legacy 11G only
5: 11ABGN mixed
6: 11N only
7: 11GN mixed
8: 11AN mixed
9: 11BGN mixed
10: 11AGN mixed

P.S. Please excuse my bad English.

HP Recommended

ZDFDDD F

HP Recommended

I have only tried the windows 7 drivers - they work perfectly now for a few weeks.

If any one has tested the win 8 one let us know please!

Nick

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

i just installed the latest driver version 5.0.37.0 on my windows 8 system and i must say it has fixed all of the problems i faced. i would encourage all to get it. it can be found on the mediatek website.

http://mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01-1_windowsDetail.php?sn=5044

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problems with my HP ENVY 15-j000ec even with 5.0.37.0 (11/25/2013). I cannot see the SSID of my router (running in the 'g' mode). I have also tried many previous driver versions without any success. Changing registry as suggested by litvcom did not help either. Strangely enough, when I bought this notebook with Win 8 pre-installed, it worked. Then, I needed to reinstall Win 8 from scratch and never got it working back.  

HP Recommended

Hi Vladus,

What I would do if I were you, go to Microsofts site and update your Windows 8 to 8.1  (they are offering the update for free)  do this while 'hardwired to your router', 'do a 'clean install', after the install (which takes awhile so be patient), run windows update to be sure all your windows drivers are now updated.

Then go to HP's support and type in your Laptops information, then click on 'support' and check that all your 'drivers' are now updated (download and install HP's updates).

Do all of this while being hardwired to your router. 

HP Recommended

Hi Vince-K,

thank you for your suggestions. In the meantime I returned my notebook back to the seller waiting for the HP technical team and their analysis. My patience just ran out. In the meantime, however, I found that the problem appears not only with the 'g' network but also with 'n' network so the problem may actually be related to the WPA-PSK2 (AES) encryption as several users reported. I'll try your suggestion if ever the HP team will not accept my returned notebook.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.