Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7645
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Set up my new Envy 7645 last week and I love it.  Wireless set up was easy and can now print from our Samsung Phones and Tablets.

My problem is that the printer makes this constant whirring sound.  The only way to make it stop is to power it off.  The whirring varies pitch but is constant.  If I touch the printer the sound stops while the display is on.  When the display turns off, the whirring starts up again.  The printer is in our small office with our computers and the whirring noise drives me crazy.

I recordered the sound on my phone.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the post in the HP discussion board.  This works.

Called HP support, asked for escalation to level 3 support to request a way to avoid it going into stand-by mode. Yes, there is one but you have to get into the engineering menu of the printer to be able to do that. Here is the step by step that Level 3 support walked me trough, they worked for me. YMMV, so do it at your own risk:

1) get to the enginnering menu on the printer

• Read this first before pushing any buttons: on the top left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a home button, some times it is lit up sometimes it is not, on te bottom left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a back arrow button, sometimes it is lit up, and sometimes it is not (THESE BUTTONS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCREEN, NOT ON THE SCREEN)
  • Now push as follows (even if the buttons are not lit up): BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON ONCE, then, TOP LEFT BUTTON 3 TIMES.
  • The screen should now show the Engineering menu.

2)how to get to the menu where you change the system mode timeout settings:

• Look for a menu option called "Underware".
  • (Stop giggling and send a telepathic mental high-five to the HP engineer who named that menu)
  • Go into "underware".
  • several new arrows appear. Click the UP arrow until you see "System Menu"
  • Hit OK
  • Click the up arrow until you see "System Mode Time Out"
  • Hit OK

3)BE CAREFUL NEXT - dont go past zero - AND BE PATIENT.

• you now see a large number, like 800 or something, push the down arrow once. you are now at 799, Repeat again and again until you reach zero.
  • (Stop being angry and as you keep pushing 798 times do send a telepathic mental -duh- to the HP engineer who built this UI menu.... on a touch screen... without adding a number pad)
  • DO NOT GO PAST ZERO!  (I dont know what happens if you do)
  • Once you see ZERO, HIT OK
  • You now see "System mode timeout" but not the zero

4)Exit back

• Push the red X
  • Push Home.

Your printer screen will never go to sleep. Enjoy your super quiet home-office, without a high-pitch whine from the printer, while HP troubleshoots what's going on with the standby power modes in this series and offers a fix.  You did register your printer purchase right? otherwise how will you find out?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @UncleMike49,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the whirring sound that you're hearing on your HP ENVY 7645 e-All-in-One Printer. I understand that the sound pitch varies but is constant. Because this issue isn't exclusive to when you're printing, I don't believe this is a roller issue. Rather, there may be something occuring electrically or within the printers programming that is causing this noise.

Step 1: Check Power:

Ensure your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet for power. Power strips and surge protectors can cause HP Printers to lack power and not perform properly. To ensure that lack of power is  not contributing to the noise, can I please have you test the printer while plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Should the issue persist, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Check Firmware:

1. On the printer control panel, touch the ePrint icon (). The HP ePrint screen opens.
  2. Touch Setup.
  3. Touch Accept to accept the terms of use and enable Web Services.
  4. Touch Accept to allow the printer to automatically check for updates.
  5. The printer automatically checks for updates
  6. If any updates are available, please allow them to install

Once the printers programming  is up to date please verify if the issue persist.

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve the noise issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Followed your suggestions but it still makes that noise.  Plugged direct into wall socket (no ext cord). Went through the setup steps you recommended.

I really like this printer, but can't deal with the whirring noise.  It sounds like a very, very, very, faint noise that a fax machine makes when connecting.  It could also be a motor or electronic noise.

If I was sure the noise w

HP Recommended

Hey @UncleMike49,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear that the steps I provided failed to resolve the noise issue that you're experiencing with your printer.

What I would recommend at this point is to reach out to our Technical Support queue by phone to explore additional options.

HP Technical Support can be reached at: 800-474-6836.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Worldwide Contact

When you call Technical Support please advise the phone support agent of the steps that you have already went through with me and the result of those steps. That way you should not have to repeat the same steps with them.

I wish you luck going forward with this! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Is there a fix for it, aside form replacing the printer?

HP Recommended

The problem is the power supply.  It squeals every time the LED screen turns off.  Months ago I found a post on the internet that tells how to access a hidden menu and turn the screen blank off.  The only problem is the screen is always on.  Small price to pay to stop the horrible squealing.

I looked and can't find the post that told how to get to the hidden service menu and change the screen timeout.  Find that post and follow the instructions.

I now remember how to get to the hidden menu.  From the Home screen touch the return button area 3-4 times.  That opens a support menu but I don't remember what to do after that.

You would think HP would be mailing out new power supplies that don't squeal.  This is giving them a bad name. 

HP Recommended

I found the post in the HP discussion board.  This works.

Called HP support, asked for escalation to level 3 support to request a way to avoid it going into stand-by mode. Yes, there is one but you have to get into the engineering menu of the printer to be able to do that. Here is the step by step that Level 3 support walked me trough, they worked for me. YMMV, so do it at your own risk:

1) get to the enginnering menu on the printer

• Read this first before pushing any buttons: on the top left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a home button, some times it is lit up sometimes it is not, on te bottom left corner, NEXT TO THE SCREEN, there is a back arrow button, sometimes it is lit up, and sometimes it is not (THESE BUTTONS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE SCREEN, NOT ON THE SCREEN)
  • Now push as follows (even if the buttons are not lit up): BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON ONCE, then, TOP LEFT BUTTON 3 TIMES.
  • The screen should now show the Engineering menu.

2)how to get to the menu where you change the system mode timeout settings:

• Look for a menu option called "Underware".
  • (Stop giggling and send a telepathic mental high-five to the HP engineer who named that menu)
  • Go into "underware".
  • several new arrows appear. Click the UP arrow until you see "System Menu"
  • Hit OK
  • Click the up arrow until you see "System Mode Time Out"
  • Hit OK

3)BE CAREFUL NEXT - dont go past zero - AND BE PATIENT.

• you now see a large number, like 800 or something, push the down arrow once. you are now at 799, Repeat again and again until you reach zero.
  • (Stop being angry and as you keep pushing 798 times do send a telepathic mental -duh- to the HP engineer who built this UI menu.... on a touch screen... without adding a number pad)
  • DO NOT GO PAST ZERO!  (I dont know what happens if you do)
  • Once you see ZERO, HIT OK
  • You now see "System mode timeout" but not the zero

4)Exit back

• Push the red X
  • Push Home.

Your printer screen will never go to sleep. Enjoy your super quiet home-office, without a high-pitch whine from the printer, while HP troubleshoots what's going on with the standby power modes in this series and offers a fix.  You did register your printer purchase right? otherwise how will you find out?

HP Recommended
I bought one last year and it does the same thing. They still don't have a fix?
HP Recommended

Hi -- I am having this same issue.  Is there a fix yet?  I tried going into "engineering mode" per this thread but it doesn't come up on my screen...

HP Recommended

The noise is the power supply.  When the menu screen turns off the hum starts.  The only fix is to follow the instructions above to stop the meny screen from turning off.  Keep trying the above directions.  It is tricky.

I am so disappointed in HP for using such a cheap power supply. .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.