Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. I've used nothing but HP printers in my entire computer-using life - over 25 years! I bought a new Officejet Pro 8620 2 years ago. I also bought refilled cartridges at the same time, as my father had passed away and I would be needing to use the printer a lot. Unfortunately, I have bought ink another 3 times for this printer, while printing somewhere around 100 pages TOTAL since purchase. Problem is, the printer keeps saying cartridges are non-HP and damaged - should replace with HP cartridges. I have NEVER had an issue before using refilled cartridges. Why the change now? Am very close to going back to using my old Win XP computer and older HP all-in-one printer. I have 3, and not one of them has EVER given any problems.

Looking for help on this. Have always trusted HP before - don't want to lose that now. Most recent cartridges were new HP, but still having same problems. Ink vendors have been highly rated with excellent reviews. Warranty expired a year ago. Didn't have extended warranty as, like I said, have never had a problem with HP printers in over 25 years.

Also, very limited cellular internet - and not(!!) reliable. 50 miles from town.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I've been learning a LOT over the weekend. First, I ordered some ink from inkplicity.com. Am curious about their ink, with their 1 year guarantee. Shortly after ordering, I contacted Fuzoo, who then asked me to photograph both sides of the chip. I had no idea the chip was removable! And actually, I see on the YoYoInk cartridges that the chip is glued in place. I then saw some Auto-Reset Ink Level chips for sale online. Then started finding lots of links and posts and articles about HP chips and the problems associated with them. As my former printers were from around 2000 or so, I had never ran into the problems associated with the current chips.

Now, Fuzoo has graciously agreed to replace not only the defective Magenta cartridge (which has their 'old' chip), but to send out a full order from before, which was for (2) black and a set of the color inks. Can't get much better than that! So it would seem that I'm no longer in need of an explanation of why this is happening - it's all about HP and their need to force their customers (who FREELY CHOOSE to buy their printers) into buying ONLY HP ink.

This is a free country which is chock-full of Capitalism. You'd be hard-pressed to walk into any grocery store and NOT find generic items right alongside their brand name counterparts, and normally for less money. Got car problems? Generic (non-OEM) parts are available, as well as many rebuilt parts. HP needs to remember their place in the grand scheme of things, or they're going to go the way of many other electronics companies. Trying to force customers into paying more for ink is wrong. ...So this would inflate the cost of printers in the first place? Yes, probably so. I have always been willing to buy quality products when I could afford to, and HP printers had always been reliable as well as easy to use. With this printer, I've sworn at the dang thing much more than I have used it.

PLEASE, HP, get the message and ease up on trying to railroad your customers. Even us long-time loyal customers "will" leave!! Remember, we are HP customers by "choice"!!

Problem is now solved. Thank you everyone for your input!!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am suddenly having the same trouble with my HP8610. It stopped printing even though the cartridges have been in it over the summer and they are not empty.

Is there a way to roll back the firmware update, or some method to get it to print again?

Many thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Print cartridge issues with new firmware.

HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8615, 8620, 8625, 8630 Printer Errors

http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=5769

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have been having this problem since the printer was new. The ONLY cartridges that never gave any error messages were the setup cartridges that came with the printer....which, by the way, ended up lasting us several months. As I said, not much use; not nearly what we had planned. But it "does" seem like there are a lot of other people that have the same or similar issue.

A lot of people think it's nice that printers tell you how much ink is left, and other things. And this printer always uses a little bit of ink every time it is turned on. Funny how I never had a problem before. I've used ink that was 3 years out of date in my last printer. Unfortunately, the older printers don't work well with the newer computers. So, there are millions of perfectly good, but older printers out there just collecting dust or filling up a landfill because they don't work with newer PC's. Is a sad situation.

I just want a printer that prints and scans - nothing more. Reliability is worth much more than all the fancy bells and whistles. I only hope there is a decent solution out there.....somewhere!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues printing.  I recommend contacting the cartridge supplier and requesting a refund for the cartridges that are not working.

HP recommend using HP original inks and do not guarantee the performance of non HP originals - the inks and printer and designed to work together for optimal performance.

Do you know if your refilled cartridges were original HP refilled?  The link here outlines some distinctions between Original, Compatible (cloned) or Remanufactured cartridges?

If your reason for using non HP pens is based on cost, I'd like to suggest the HP instant ink program which offers significant discounts on store bought cartridges. It's available in the US, Canada, UK and some other European countries. I've included a link below.

Main page 50%.JPG

"
"Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hello Sabertooth. Thanks for the link. Have checked, and the printer is set to not accept updates. However, everything appears to be current - no new updates. Right now, I have refilled cartridges in the printer purchased from Fuzoo. They have awesome reviews and ratings. And in actuality, this printer seems to like these cartridges better than any of the others, save the setup cartridges that came with it. I also have a new HP cartridge in the black side. At the moment, it is only the Magenta color that is sometimes giving a "damaged cartridge" error. I read where someone else wrote that they can sometimes trick their printer into working by turning it off and then on again. But I have to ask, what's the purpose of having a wireless setup if you have to get up more than before, just to trick the printer into working?

I have not made any color prints since installing these color cartridges. Have made a few black (text) prints but not many. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Howdy Prof! Yes, every cartridge that has been installed since purchased has been a refilled "genuine" HP cartridge. I read where there have been some chip issues, but not sure if that could be the problem. The first cartridge vendor (YoYoInk) had every single cartridge go bad soon after installation. Amazon and YoYoInk made good on the costs. Have since bought Fuzoo for the color and HP for the black. No issues with the HP (new) black cartridges yet, but they certainly are spendy. Again, Fuzoo seemes to have extremely high reviews and such. I will contact them concerning this recent Magenta problem, but so far everything is following course.

I've been a part of the computer industry since shortly after the inception of Compaq (it was still Gateway Technologies then). Can't say I'm overly confident where this newer technology is leading us. Still using Win 7 (64 bit) as the new Windows 10 has not yet gained my trust. And if this HP printer ends up ONLY using HP cartridges, then HP will also have lost my trust. I'm just one person, but there seem to be many more folks that are also not overly happy with some HP products. I "do" hope very much that the issue is with this particular printer. If I buy another and have problems, I'll have to try another company.

Thanks for all the help folks! 🙂  Hopefully we can get this problem solved.

HP Recommended

I have cartridges from Fuzoo as well, and they were working great until this week's upgrade!  HP's claim that they can't guarantee quality of non-HP cartridges is an excuse, they just want to monopolize the market.  The quality of the Fuzoo cartridges was just as good, until HP stepped in.  Rollback the firmware update, lower ink prices, or lose customers!

HP Recommended

Hmm...maybe Donal_M isn't a Prof after all. My apologies if I understood that wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the link Donal. I've read about the suspect cartridges, as well as that they can only be re-used a number of times before certain failure. Had no idea about that. That would seem to indicate that the ONLY way of knowing whether a cartridge will work or not is to buy new, genuine HP cartridges. Wow, that's a chunk of change to shell out, when the printer uses most of the ink in its startup routine. We have had "plans" to print more, but it just hasn't happened yet.

As for leaving the printer on all the time, that's not a good idea either. Only turn the printer on as needed, which can be as seldom as once a month...and even then not necessarily for printing.

HP Recommended

Hello,  This is most liekly due to the fact that HP has a programmed a failure into the printer.  YOu may have received this as part of a recent firware update in the last year. If you are not useing HP ink catridges which are overpriced the printer is programmed to fail to print as of 9/13/16.  So are you using an off brand ink.  There probably is no issue with your printer or ink at all other than HP is not making a profit off of you and wants to leverage you into purchasing thier ink.  SOme pricinters which do not have a network connection have thes failure preprogrammed in from the factory. 

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/09/hp-is-blocking-unofficial-replacement-cartridges-for-its-inkjet...

I will be screen capturing all of these replies to I can document how many  times HP support deletes or removes these responses in order to hide the true nature of most of these issues.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.