Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone 🙂

@Josh82@cashel@TERRYLOU1@Marcus1960@contractsman@jwayt

Basically, if the printer's firmware is up to date (page 18 of the printer's User Guide explains how to update the firmware) and the printer is plugged directly to the wall outlet the printer should not be emitting any high pitched noises. If it is, it's best to call our technical support team for your area and inquire what to do next 🙂

As for turning off the sleep mode, it can't be turned off or the printer wouldn't be able to be considered energy efficient. You can set it to 5, 10 and 15 mins though under Setup and then Preferences.

I hope you're all able to get this issue resolved one way or another 🙂

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply - This was a waste of time. Page 18 of the setup guide is in Spanish. I could not find an option for sleep mode under set up and preferences. It did not exist. I plugged the printer into a different wall socket and the high pitched noise is still present when in sleep mode. I went to your website to download the latest software, did so spending 15 minutes, then the software would not load indicating the USB port was not plugged in when it was (fyi - I can still print). So much for your advice. Please make sure you forward this comment to your management.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

I have the same issue with this printer.

The power connection to printer is faulty and is indicative that this is an issue with this model. Some people with the issue have had the power connection component replaced by HP and this seems to resolve the problem. 

The advice to update firmware and plug directly into wall outlet is a waste of time - HP support staff should be made aware of the underlying issue and not provide this useless information. Sounds like HP might be trying trying to avoid a recall by not admitting fault in the products power connection component.

I have already replaced one of these printers and will be sending this one back unless HP post me a replacement part.

Its a pity as the printer is pretty good and I have always used HP printers. I wont be buying another HP product.

HP Recommended

Folks, thanks again for highlighting this. I've fed back all your comments to the team for resolution, and as soon as I know more I'll let you know. Bear with me as it might take a little time to get a fix out there (I would hope no more than a couple of weeks). I appreciate the noise must be annoying, but rest assured we're working on this problem and we're paying close attention to your feedback.

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I just want to let you know that I am experiencing the same problem.  I look forward to hearing a good solution for it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting us know @DianeMHA

Keep you posted as soon as I know more about this. In the meantime, please bear with us (I know the noise must be annoying)

Cheers, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

My 6830 has been making the same noise for months now, and it's driving me insane.

I have to unplug it until I need to use it again; it's that bad.

Please fix this ASAP.

HP Recommended

Same issue for me as well.  The nosie starts as soon as the printer enters sleep mode.  Tried plugging into a wall socket.  As soon as the printer went to sleep, the noise began.  A fix would be most appreciated. 

HP Recommended

Just bought this printer in The Netherlands(May 13th 2015), after two hours of operation the noise started on the printer. It's clear the whisteling noise comes from the power supply. After contacting HP support, a new printer was sent to me which makes even more noise than the first one. I am glad that I found this forum after one minute of Googling.

I am angry at HP that they told me the issue was not known and just sent me a new one knowing the problem was already there and not solved yet on this type of office jet.

Hopefully HP will come very soon with a solution!!!!!

HP Recommended

I'm having this exact problem...patiently waiting 😐

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.