Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Yea, had the same issue with left hinge on my Envy 17 after a little over two years. Not very durable given it was never taken out of the house, or dropped. Sat on my wife's lap doing school work as a teacher. Well, I sent it to a place for a trade in payment. Hopefully get a few bucks back. Sad you pay a decent amount thinking it will last 4 years or better. But it's junk after 2. It was a bad design those hinges, HP has redesigned most of their line I guess so maybe they will last? I've learned my lesson, that more expensive doesn't mean better quality or a better warranty. I'll buy cheap laptops from now on and not feel so bad when a hinge breaks, or it over heats. Almost any CPU can handle what tasks my Wife and I do with our laptops. 

HP Recommended

It seems I am having the same issue so many others on this forum have had. Have an Envy dv7 notebook with major hinge problems. It started on the left side with the hinge seeming to become loose in the case - NOT loose in opening, in fact opening it was rather tight. This quickly progressed to where the hinge started forcing the case apart and eventually cracking parts of the corner of the case. Wasn't long before this started with the right hinge as well. For a while I was able to hold the corner together and close the screen but it got to the point where it feels like closing it will do major damage, and with any motion the screen wobbles around when open. So basically the computer is unusable unless sitting still on a desk and never moving or closing it. I have hardly been able to use it in well over a year. Quite inconvenient as I have had to use my older less powerful machine. I spent over my budget buying this high line computer thinking I would be able to use it for a very long time but it hasn't turned out that way, although I can say that other than the hinge issue it was a great computer. It was always well cared for and never dropped and in fact rarely taken from the house, mostly used on my lap on the couch.  The real clincher is my friend, seeing my new computer, bought the same model soon after I got mine. It took slightly longer, but he is now having EXACTLY the same issues with his. This, along with the many other posts here makes me believe that there are definite manufacturing issues with the hinges and/or hinge-case attachment on at least some of these computers. I am kind of surprised there have been no recalls. Unfortunately both machines are out of warranty at this point. So... I am wondering if there is anything HP can do to remedy this situation. Since Jeff seems to be the man to contact for these issues, I hope this finds its way to him, although help from anyone would be much appreciated! Thanks.

HP Recommended

@ArtLH65

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Can I have my info passed on as well to be addressed?  It seems there is a major deisgn flaw that HP should be stepping up to here and adressing each concern on this forum.

HP Recommended

Same problem here!  The right hinge has broken, it's clearly a design fault as the plastic part has snapped around the screw into the metal bracket.  My daughter is very careful with her laptop and it has not been dropped!  It works perfectly well (except for opening and closing the lid!) and we can't afford to replace it right now but it needs to be usable as she has A levels coming up.  At home she can just leave it open but what about taking it into school (and later to university!).  It's not ideal and surely there is a relatively easy fix that isn't going to cost lots?

HELP please?

HP Recommended

@Smileyk

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have an   HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j063cl Notebook PC  and have issues with both hinges. It is no longer under the warr

anty but I would like to have it repaired. It sseems that I cannot contact you directly about this - so I am using this avenue with the hope someone will contact me back.

HP Recommended

@Vcor

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I just had my Hp Envy M7, M1W11UA#ABA, in for a warranty repair to fix the right side hinge.  It made it until March 31 before the left side hinge started doing the same thing.  Seriously? Did nobody at the shop check the other side? I will be disputing my warramty for this specific problem.  Hinges should not be the problem, yet for HP they seem to be.

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with my HP Envy Sleekbook 6z-1000. I bought the laptop in 2012 and by July 2014, the right hinge was completely shattered, and my back cover was beginning to crack. I sent my laptop to HP to be repaired on 7/20/14 and it was fixed on 7/31/14. It cost me $193 to have this repaired. Today, 4/26/17/, as I was opening my laptop, I heard a crack. I looked at the right hinge, and it has been popped out of place and it will not work properly anymore. I am afraid it is going to shatter again, and I will be out of a computer. I am a graduate student and we have to use our laptops every single day.

Also in January of this year, I received a message that my laptop is now "vintage" and HP will no longer do any service work to it.

The parts used by HP to fix my broken hinge in 2014 were the following:

Back Cover: part number 693194-001

Bezel: part number 687755-001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.