Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15t w100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Immediately upon booting up my new HP Envy laptop I noticed a continual noise coming from the top right, above the numberic pad. It is a rotating noise of clicking, static and what sounds like spinning. The noise sounds like the hardrive processing, however it is continual with diferent noises coming in waves. I've read a few other complaints with the same issue, but no solution. Noise is not overbearing but extremely annoying and can be heard across a quite room. I've made sure to update/download the most recent drivers and updates incluse BIOS, which has done nothing.

Below is a 15 second recording of the sound while the laptop is turned on with no applications open...the noise gets louder and more noticeable as more processes are used.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flp32q2fhxkhzd2/IMG_0252.MOV?dl=0

Product #: L8R68AV

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@marianne_cc wrote:

Have anyone solved this problem? I have the same..Thanks

NOPE! I really don't think that noise can be stopped unless HP will replace the the hard drive completely for you.

I returned that laptop and just kept the other model that was purchased at Best Buy model HP Envy x360 m6-103dx. The HP Envy x360 15t that I recieved directly from HP had another major issue besides the noise. It would not stay shut down. Everytime I would shut down the laptop, the laptop would turn itself on again. The only way to shut it down was a hard shut down, where you have to hold down the power button for several seconds. I tried several troubleshooting ideas from HP customer services and nothing worked. No idea what was wrong with that machince.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @Gregory_M,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! This is a great place to find solutions and help from our community!

I understand your HP Envy x360 is making an audible sound that is quite annoying. I'd be happy to help you with that. It sounds to me like the fan may be off balance. 

Take a look at this document on Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal as it may have some information on sorting this out.

Please keep me posted. 

You can always say thanks by hitting the Thumbs Up button below!

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

HP Recommended

Hello TechSurge,

Thank you for your response. I've taken a look at the document you provided. Many of the suggestions don't quite meet the criteria of the issue I'm having. I believe the fan is closer to the left side of the notebook, whereas the noise is stemming from the right. The noise is not of constant fan spinning but of clicking, static and occasional spinning (from what I believe to be the disk drive) when used more heavily. The notebook also does not get unusally warm. 

I updated the BIOS to its most current version before posting about the noise. The vent is clean as the computer made the noise immediately upon booting up for the first time and was shipped new, directly from HP. Again, the notebook is brand new and has little software or applications downloaded that would slow it down, instead it is blazingly fast. The noise persists no matter what power use setting. Upon opening up the task manager no processes are corrupt.

As an update, the notebook is still making the same noise as the first day it was turned on.

HP Recommended

Hey @Gregory_M,

If you were to eject the disc tray, would the Notebook continue to make the noise, as well as, do you have a disc in the tray?

Please keep me posted. 

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Hello @TechSurge,

The HP Envy x360 15t has no disc tray. "Thin and light design with DVD/CD drive omitted for improved portability. 3-cell lithium-ion polymer battery."

Greg

HP Recommended

Hey @Gregory_M,

Could be a hardware issue. I would suggest calling in for support to see if they have any suggestions.

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP.

If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please keep me posted. 

Cheers.

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hey Gregory! Did you ever get the noise resolved? If so, how did you get it to stop? I just received the same model you have, and it makes the exact same noise. I just received the laptop from HP on Wednesday, April 13 and I noticed the noise immediately. Please let me know.

Thanks! 🙂

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@marianne_cc wrote:

NOPE! I really don't think that noise can be stopped unless HP will replace the the hard drive completely for you.

I returned that laptop and just kept the other model that was purchased at Best Buy model HP Envy x360 m6-103dx. The HP Envy x360 15t that I recieved directly from HP had another major issue besides the noise. It would not stay shut down. Everytime I would shut down the laptop, the laptop would turn itself on again. The only way to shut it down was a hard shut down, where you have to hold down the power button for several seconds. I tried several troubleshooting ideas from HP customer services and nothing worked. No idea what was wrong with that machince.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I think the only thing to do it is not to buy HPs laptops anymore. I have Sony, Samsung and Acer before, any of them had any problem..I think that HP doen´t test enough their computers...they want to be a big computer brand but they should keep just with the printers, that is my conclusion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.