Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just bought a used EliteBook 8540p that just ran out of warranty,  and now no longer powers on. When first received the notebook it seemed to be working fine, had it on for about an hour, let the battery charge up to 100% then turned it off. Next day when to power it on and nothing happened. Tried to power it on with just the battery and then just on ac power but with same behavior. All the lights above keyboard blink once then nothing after pressing power button. With battery installed and ac power plugged in, battery light on front of notebook is on and is Turquoise indicating full charge of battery. This is all it does now.

Is this a hardware failure ? What does the lights blinking once mean ?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello Geigs,

Your EliteBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

i am a computer technition at my own shop.before 2 months i bought 8540p laptop for my friend from another shop, before a few days it was giving same problem , at the internet i did not find no soltion of this problem ,i just find your problem here, so at last i decided  try it by myself. now i have the solution and it's 100% working.

1. unplug your battery and charger from your laptop.

2.open the 3 screws of keyboard from backside(downside) of your laptop.

3.open the keboard clips from upper side carefully and put it out.

4.now you will see the three or four strips near to your touchpad, disconnect these strips from motherboard.

5.Plug just your battery in and push the power on button.

I hope 100% ,your laptop will power on and your problem will be solved.

now power off your laptop and connect the strips to motherboad that u have disconected, and connect your keyboad strips also, assemeble everthing that u dissassembled. and enjoy your laptop.

sorry for my poor english i dont know english language well. further if u have any problem u can contact to me here,thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Zahidking,

I just tried your solution and it worked, thanks.

I still do not know what is causing this to happen, prior to trying your solution I changed the CPU and it started working again, then on occasion would not power on until pressing power button multiple times before it would power on.

The only pattern there maybe is when there is a change in temperature or humidity it will not power on. Only by pressing and holding power button or pressing power multiple times will get it to power on again. Or removing or disconnecting a piece of hardware will get it to power on again.

I have experienced about 5 instances now where it would not power on.

HP Recommended

Which are the correct strips I should unplug? I have no idea. Thanks! Can you maybe post a picture?

HP Recommended

RJA23, if your unsure how to disconnect the keyboard, try unplugging the hard drive, or RAM, or both first with the battery removed and laptop unplugged, then hold the power button for 15-30 secs.  After put hard drive and RAM back in laptop and plug it back in with battery, then try powering it on.

If you want to take the laptop apart you can follow the procedure in the Maintenance and Service Guide manual starting on page 47.

The Manual is here;

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4097214&docId=emr_na-c03382696&docLocale...

HP Recommended

----

HP Recommended

Before removing strips, you have to push back the clips of those strips. remember that always there was a technique to open the clip, so we should not act in hurry , just relax , think and open the clip easily with No-tension.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

One more solution,

if your laptop (of any kind) , battery is full or normal,and laptop is not powering on, then dont worry, because this problem often comes in cold days , so, the solution is, you have to plug in your laptop's charger in and power on, i hope it will be fine , if not, then some times we need to remove laptop battery and plug the charger in. and then press the power button. when laptop power on then you can put your battery in laptop again.sorry for my poor english.thanks.

HP Recommended

Had three separate HP Elitebooks (2570, 9470m, 8460p) with this issue and found a solution.  Turns out, the standard HP charger does not work with these models, neither does a 4.62A generic replacement charger.

I've tried five or six different HP/Dell charger models with the same plug form factor, including ones that work fine with other Elitebook models, but zero response when trying to turn on the computer. Battery icon on the front of the pc blinks though, so it appeared those chargers were correct, even though they didn't provide enough juice to boot the laptop. Pulled battery and power cycled laptops, no luck. Swapped out HDD and RAM, no luck. Then I tried the charger for HP Elitebook 8760w, a 19.5v 10.3A which apparantly provided enough amperage for it to boot up.

So, check your charger. Even if it's a standard HP charger that fits and lets the light blink, it might not be capable of providing enough amps to power the Elitebook if the battery is fully discharged.

This doesn't make much sense since the 9470m only needs a 2.31A charger, but it works. Perhaps the positive pin on the charger is slightly longer on the 10.3A charger, and it's making contact where the other chargers aren't, but who knows. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.