Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I purchased my HP Photosmart C5280 printer 8/08.  I have had no problems to date.  Today I was printing material, when the black cartridge quit.  I knew it wasn't out of ink, so I took the cartridge out and cleaned it.  Then I replaced it with a new cartridge.  The message on the printer screen indicated, "Print cartridges:  Refer to documentation"; on the monitor it stated "rightmost", which would be my black cartridge.  I read on the internet to unplug the printer, then the electrical outlet and wait at least 15 seconds, and no change.  I checked to see if it was a paper jam, but I didn't see anything.  I pushed the "set up" button on the front of the computer, and it did not respond.  Any other suggestions?

59 REPLIES 59
HP Recommended

I have the same problem after installing a new tri coour cartridge.  I also searched teh web and found alot of people with the same problem.

I do not know if you have had a reply from HP but it seems that they just ignore you in the hope that you will go away, rather than fix faults on what has been a terrible printer, especially for me, as it has hardly ever worked correctly.

Come on HP  try and save soem custom and help me fix this or at least tell me why I should buy another HP.

HP Recommended

do a semi full reset

combo would be:

•"print photo" + "red eye removal" buttons  pressed together

•printer will not ask you to enter the combo

•release the buttons you pressed then

•press "red eye", "print photo", "red eye" in sequence

•scroll down or right  until you find resets menu

•press ok

•scroll down or right until you find semi-full reset

•press ok

•your printer should turn off, wait for 3 minutes before turning the printer back on

(i may represent HP but this advice is solely my own)
HP Recommended

thanks for offering a response and I am busy writing this waiting for the 3 minutes you recommend to pass. Hope it fixes the fault.

I just wish HP would pull their socks up and resond to customer queries instead of the standard reply that this is a peer tp peer forum and that they should use "this link" to try and resolve their issue.

People do not have the time to sit on hold etc waiting for help, what seems like a common fault (and I am starting to wonder if it is deliberate) would love to see teh forum moderated by HP staff who try to sort problems out with a response for all to see, thereby solving more problems , more importantly boosting HP customer service reputation.

HP Recommended

how can i fix my printer

HP Recommended

Aah, fantastic!!! Thank you so much! I've been looking for a solution to this problem everywhere too and this actually works!! :generic: Well done tinuwangiro! 

HP Recommended

I attempted to follow the answer to "refer to printer documentation". After pushing both the print photos button and the red eye removal button simultaneously, I get a message Enter special key combo.  HELP

HP Recommended

my printer was running low on ink . so i change it . n not working. i tryed what was in solution hit print photos n red eye same time than released push r-eye=printphoto r-eye again than scroll down hit menu reset than semi full reset n nothing

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same issue, it gave the error when I replaced the black cartridge. I  resolved it by replacing the printer cartridge, but the fault was not the oneI replaced but the old colour one.  Once I bought a new one, it seemed to work.

Good luck

HP Recommended

I had the same problem recently. I was frustrated because in had used the printer with no problems only a couple of days earlier. When i switched it on it said 'Print cartridges' 'Refer to printer documentation'. In my irritation i repeatedly removed and installed the cartridges (forcefully!):smileymad: until the error message disappeared. To save keep lifting the cover i held my finger in the hole on the left hand side and just removed it to release the cartridges.

Not very technical I'm afraid but resolved the problem.:smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.