Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Lions99: Thanks so much for the info! I tried all the other posts to get my printer working and it just kept telling me to "refer to printer documentation". Your tip did the trick and it is now printing! I did not know how to remove the printer head, so I did the hard reset and that did it.  Go HOGS!

HP Recommended

I got this the first time. I just unplugged the printer at both ends, left for a while plugged back in, left for a few mins then turned on and I got the right messages to be able to continue.

HP Recommended

I know this is a bit late but if you scroll left and right using the arrows you will find Semi-Full Reset i hope this helps

HP Recommended

I just replaced  black INK TONER, it shows the message:  Refer to  prnter documentation.  What does that mean? what can I do?

HP Recommended
I messed around with all the forums that gave every indication of what they have done to try to correct this error, with no viable resolution, after trying everything posted. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new set of cartridges from HP, to replace the new remanufactured ones I've had in for about two months with minimal printing of probably less than 100 copies. After installing the new cartridges once noted on the display screen, it requested to do an alignment, and after the alignment, the printer worked like a charm. Don't throw your printer away, because regardless of some of the knuckleheads suggestions to throw the printer away, and buy a new one, that is not a solution or a resolution.
HP Recommended

were u ever answered on this cuz it did the same thing to me after i followed the other instructions of 'red eye removeal' button and 'print photos' together i got the same thing u did, NExxFN0713AR and did not see that u got and answer yet?? please let me konw if the helped u, cuz it is not in this thread of the same question?

HP Recommended

This appeared to be working up until the point that it wanted print a test page. I waited and waited and no test page came.

HP Recommended

Replaced all ink with new cartages and still say the red in out or not working.  I've rplacd twice.

HP Recommended

how can i stop notifications for this post?? i fixed my problem but dont remember how, sorry!!!

HP Recommended

Reply to message above I have tried all the resets , repower up  and uninstalled and reinstall HP C5280c software and reload drivers witth no success.  WHat idid find is the problem seems to be in the contacts on both the cartiage and the printer head. So changing and cleaning wil evenbtually clear the " Refer To pinter Documentatio" error . It is my feeling HP has made a good printer but went cheap on a very important issue the printer contacts.  Yes this is very frustrating God luck !!!!! 45Wingnut 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.