Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

What a bother!  I wanted to quickly make a copy of my new passport before I leave on a trip.  I don't have time to go through all these steps, which could potentially disable my printer completely.   Instead, I downloaded the HP app onto my iPad mini and successfully scanned and printed my passport.  No problems with permissions.  Hopefully the iPad continues to work.   I suggest adding "use an iPad instead of your Mac" as an alternate solution.  I have never before had a printer stop working with my devices, no matter how old the printer or device was. 

HP Recommended

Would you look at that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212756 

just look at it would ya?

Thank you Cmsjrs. Definitely the best answer, and so simple.

HP Recommended

So has anyone from HP weighed in to tell us how to solve this problem or is it up to the clients to solve the problem? This is interrupting my business operations. I'm about to head to best buy and buy another printer from a company that cares about its clients.

HP Recommended

Take a look at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212756 for a solution.

HP Recommended

@Tburlin wrote:

So has anyone from HP weighed in to tell us how to solve this problem or is it up to the clients to solve the problem? This is interrupting my business operations. I'm about to head to best buy and buy another printer from a company that cares about its clients.

Just referring to your comment, be aware that this is an Apple issue due to a recent OS update, as clearly explained by Apple, and not even affecting HP scanners only but other brands as well,  this will be resolved by a software update in the near future as clearly listed:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212756

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanation.  That helps.  I was relieved that your iPad app could do the scan that I needed.

HP Recommended

This worked brilliantly for me: MBP M1 with Big Sur 11.5.2 and an OfficeJet Pro 8720. THANK YOU.

HP Recommended

This also worked for me, but only after removing every hint of HP on my computer, downloading everything (which in itself was a problem for some unknown reason) then finally booting in Safe Mode to get the printer driver installer to finally complete, then finding the permission with "hp scanner 3" issue.

a root canal is quicker, and less painful.

HP Recommended

Awesome! It solved my problem. Thanks so much

HP Recommended

This is by fssbob from reddit:

I was able to fix this so I can again use HP Easy Scan. Here's what I did:

• In FINDER, I went to "/Library/Image Capture/Devices".

• I did a Get Info on HP Scanner 3.app.

• I added my user id under Sharing & Permissions. (Read only)

• I clicked on "HP Scanner 3.app" just once. Now nothing will open up but when you try to scan something, it will work!

That was it. Now HP Easy Scan seems to work normally.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.