Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6830

My first HP Officejet 6830 was about 3 months out of warranty when the printer stopped working with the message... 

0Xc19a0015 - "There is a problem with the printhead".

I searched HP Support to discover that this is a VERY COMMON - KNOWN PROBLEM on this printer only to be advised that the printer was out of warranty.   However, after a lot more digging and searching, I finally found my way to an obscure HP Support web page that advised that certain printers (including the 6830) with this printheadhead problem and error code would be replaced even if the printer was out of warranty.

I followed the steps on this obscure HP Support web page to create a CSO and soon received a replacement "refurbished" 6830 printer and returned my defective 6830 printer to HP.  In a follow up HP Support Service Survey, I advised that with so many printers with this known failure prone printhead problem, HP should be actively recalling all such printers and replacing them with redesigned printers without this problem.   I also voiced my concern that if the replacement "refurbished" 6830 did not incorporate a newly redesigned printhead to corrected this known issue, the replacement 6830 would likely suffer the same fate as the first one!  I did not expect, nor did I receive any reply from HP.

As expected, my replacement 6830, like the first with only about 15 months of use, has now failed with the same Printhead problem and error message!  However now, despite my best search efforts, I can no longer find that well hidden HP Support page that acknowledges that this is a KNOWN PROBLEM and printers affected by this problem will be replaced even when out of warranty.

I would appreciate any assistance in finding that obscure web page again, if it still exists, to have this out of warranty replacement 6830 with the same  Printhead  Problem, replaced again with another replacement printer!

ZT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"Final Resolution" on my second OJP 6830 Printer's Printhead Problem:

I was contacted today by HP Support who offered a voucher code to help with the purchase of new HP printer; but only valid on purchases from the HP website.

Thanks again to everyone who replied here and tried to help!

Now only to decide if I'm really ready to take a chance on another HP Printer???   I've spent a good bit of time here, reading about a lot of different issues and problems with a lot of different HP All-In-One printer models!

Can anyone here recommend a trouble free, reliable, HP All-in-one printer model?

ZT

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Try all these Google and Youtube threads here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=There+is+a+problem+with+the+printhead&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firef...

Search for more if needed.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

Sabretoothe -

I've had a look at the results of your Google search which returned about the same information as my own searches.

Were you trying to point me toward ways of resolving this printhead problem myself (i.e. all the steps outlined on the 6830 support page like turning on & off, cleaning the printhead, etc., none of which did any good) OR ,as I was really looking for, an HP online support path leading to a  free warranty replacement of an out of warranty printer with this well known, widespread design defect?

As I said in my original post, HP was replacing these 6830 printers with this specific problem, in the not so distant past, even if out of warranty!  Has HP now quit doing this and telling affected 6830 owners, in effect, to go scratch?

ZT

HP Recommended

Sorry I have no idea what HP will or will not do.  Suggest you now call HP and discuss your options.

HP Recommended

What was it you were suggesting in among those Google search results, Sabretooth?

And just FYI.. calling HP was a dead end!  "Out of Warranty!  So Go scratch!"

HP Recommended

@ZTatZAUwrote:

What was it you were suggesting in among those Google search results, Sabretooth?

And just FYI.. calling HP was a dead end!  "Out of Warranty!  So Go scratch!"

Simple.  Either fix it yourself or throw it out.

Out of warranty... throw it out.  Always buy a printer with a 2 year warranty and lifetime phone support. 

HP Recommended

@ZTatZAU

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply and your assistance in reaching a satisfactory  resolution to this ongoing defective printhead problem on the 6830 printers!  I do appreciate your help!

I did receive a Private Message from "JeffHelp" (Christopher) on Monday and, after providing him with the additional information he requested, he advised that I would be contacted within two business days.

It's now Wednesday and so far , despite another followup PM to Jeff today,  I haven't heard anything further from Jeff or from HP Support!  I would appreciate any additional assistance you can provide in this matter.

ZT

HP Recommended

@ZTatZAU

I regret that you have not yet been contacted..  I have escalated your comments to Jeff for 

further review and follow up.  Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

Chero

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Chero but patience does have limits. 

What I regret is that the quality of HP products and support has declined so!  I have, in the past, always been able to count on HP products and prompt support when required.  In fact I'm still using two HP (DJ 5550s) printers that have provided reliable service for more than 15 years now.  Sadly, the HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 printer simply doesn't live up to HP's previous standards!

Once HP became aware of the OJ 6830's extremely high failure rate and that all 6830 printers were destined to suffer the same "Printhead Problem" due to its defective design, HP should have proactively recalled them all and replaced them with printers that HP customers could rely upon.  Instead HP chose to dance their 6830 customers around with a long list of  "Steps to Correct this Problem" which HP knew wouldn't help ... replace the defective printers with another defective printer that HP knew would fail in the same manner... and then eventually tell the customer, "Sorry! Your printer is out of warranty!"

This is not the way for HP to treat or retain loyal customers!  I do still look forward to hearing back from Jeff and his team and to a satisfactory resolution of this well known, widespread, and continuing 6830 Printhead issue!

ZT

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.