Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

We have a Laserjet P1102w which was originally installed on a Windows Xp computer with no problems.  We recently move it to a Windows 7 computer, and the default paper size is now showing as A4 on the General tab of the printer properties page.  Everywhere else e.g. under preferences, we were able to  change it to Letter, but it still does not print correctly when we put in letter size paper.  How can we get it to change the default size?  We tried updating the driver from the HP website and uninstalling and re-installing the printer but nothing helped.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Verify if your Win7 computer has US settings for default paper size settings.

Go to Start -> Control Panel-> Clock, Langauage and Region -> Region and Language -> Location 

Change it o United States

Ensure your Default location is also " United States" 

Let me know if this helped resolve your case.

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I changed the location in both places to United States, but it didn't make any difference.

HP Recommended

Can you confirm the default settings on printer control panel?

Is it set to Letter?

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Do you mean on the printer itself?  This printer  has no controls on it, the only buttons , besides the On/Off button, are the Wireless button and the Cancel button.

HP Recommended

Try these 2 things

1. On your win 7 computer - look into the  software program setup as the app  settings take priority over other settings 

Priority for print settings

Changes to print settings are prioritized depending on where the changes are made:

NOTE:

The names of commands and dialog boxes might vary depending on your software program.

Page Setup dialog box: Click Page Setup or a similar command on the File menu of the

program you are working in to open this dialog box. Settings changed here override settings

changed anywhere else.

Print dialog box: Click Print, Print Setup, or a similar command on the File menu of the

program you are working in to open this dialog box. Settings changed in the

Print dialog box

have a lower priority and usually do not override changes made in the

Page Setup dialog box.

Printer Properties dialog box (printer driver): Click Properties in the Print dialog box

to open the printer driver. Settings changed in the

Printer Properties dialog box usually do not

override settings anywhere else in the printing software. You can change most of the print settings

here.

Default printer driver settings: The default printer driver settings determine the settings used

in all print jobs,

unless settings are changed in the Page Setup, Print, or Printer Properties

dialog boxes.

2. Ensure that printer has the correct media size setup on the printer and the paper guides are sets to " letter " in tray  if available.

I work for HP
HP Recommended

1. In the print dialog box, the paper size is set to letter in Word.

2.The printer itself has no options to setup paper size.

I tried re-connecting the printer to the WinXP computer, and the paper size is showing as letter in the Printer Properties page.

HP Recommended

Another approach would be the following:

1. In Windows 7, click on the "Start" button and select "Devices and Printers" from menu to the right of the navigation display.
  2. Find your printer in the list of "Printers" and right-click on its icon to open a pop-up menu.
  3. Select "Printing Preferences"
  4. Click on the "Paper/Quality" tab at the top of the menu.
  5. Select "Letter" in the Paper Size drop-down list. Then click "OK"
  6. You can do the same thing if you choose "Printer Properties" from the pop-menu, after clicking on the printer icon.  You would then click on the "Preferences" button, then follow the instructions in "Step 5" above.

This should do the trick, even if the country setting is not set to "United States".  Hope this works.

----------------------

I am an HP employee.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I tried both ways - from "Printing Preferences" and from "Printer Properties".  "Letter" is selected under paper size, but A4 is still listed under the "General" tab, and the printer apparently still thinks the paper size is A4.

HP Recommended

In the same "Properties" window where you see the "General'" tab, select the "Device Settings" tab and check to see if the "Main Tray" setting in "Form To Tray Assignment" is set to "Letter".  If not, select "Letter" from the drop-down list.

Let me know if this doesn't work.  Thanks very much.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.