Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 5 (475 Views)

How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

I am trying to figure out how to reduce noise in scan surfaces.  I have surfaces that are very smooth, yet the resulting scans show these areas with a mild roughness or noise.

In the cases where I have spray coated the objects, there are a few spray blobs but most of the surface is smooth, yet the resulting scans show the mild roughness or noise.  In the resulting scans, the smooth areas are rougher and the blobs seem larger than they actually are.

Here are some images showing the problem:

noise_in_scans_01.jpgnoise_in_scans_02.jpgnoise_in_scans_03.jpg

In particular, on the soap label... the label is perfectly smooth with no roughness.  Yet the scan shows a roughness in this area.

These scans are done in a pitch black room using both cameras and using a Custom preset which is basically the 'Quality' preset with a noise reduction of 2.  (There are no artifacts seen in the camera views during these scans).

Is there anything further I can do to get these smooth areas perfectly smooth in the scans?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 5 (432 Views)

Re: How to Reduce Noise in Scans?

Try to do all scans and to fuse them, then check how it looks. During the fusion process surface becomes more smooth.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Intern
Message 3 of 5 (340 Views)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for the ideas.  I realize the fusing process will smooth out the surfaces.  (The smoothing process will also smooth out sharp edges which I would like to keep sharp).

My point is... on a perfectly smooth surface, the scans show a slight roughness (noise).  In other words... on a smooth surface, a slight roughness will be introduced.

On a surface which has been spray coated (in order to be seen by the scanner), the coating itself has a very slight roughness to it (and may have a few spray blobs too).  In the resulting scans, this slightly rough coated area seems to become even rougher... which requires a higher level of smoothing which in turn produces a final mesh with either some roughness left in what are supposed to be smooth areas or a loss of sharp edges due to the smoothing required to make smooth areas smooth.

In any event, it seems this slight roughness(noise) in scans is unavoidable and normal.

Thanks again.

Intern
Message 4 of 5 (281 Views)

There will always be some surface texture in the raw scans for a large number of reasons including quiescent noise in you system and environmental factors. Most of these will be minimal but there will always be something. Fusion does a good job of minimizing this. The better your scanning practices get the less this will be a factor. I think I have a cast Joe Hunt body somewhere. If I find it I may scan it and see what I can do with it.
Intern
Message 5 of 5 (261 Views)

Thanks for this info!

As I get better with scanning, hopefully I will be able to minimize the roughness as much as possible.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation