Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (195 Views)

scanning fine detail

Product Name: HP 3D scan 5
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI Folks,

I have the David 5 scanner and want to scan items to pick up fine detail. The camera picture picks up the fine detail in the 60MM range. As you can see in the picture before the scan below. This item measures 2 " in length.

20180401_080814_resized.jpg

But after the scan I get washed out detail as you can see in the scan results below.

20180401_080936_resized.jpg

I'm using the standard cameras that came with the scanner. I have no problem scanning larger simple items  

that do not lose detail. Example of fused scan below.

20180401_080741_resized.jpg

So not sure if it is a camera lens problem or a calibration problem?  If anyone has done any work in this area of producing fine detail please advise.  

Thanks Rick

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 3 (140 Views)

Re: scanning fine detail

Just a tip: Try to post higher rez screen shots. There is a screen shot button at the top of the David screen that works great. The cell phone pics of your screen have too much morie and are too small to see the detail.

µ

P.S. read my sig Smiley Wink

www.3dscanforum.org
Grad Student
Message 3 of 3 (94 Views)

Re: scanning fine detail

You are missing the details because you have the deep cuts and holes, a lot of geometry that is hard to capture even with a single cam, with 2 cams it is impossible.  Try to use a single cam and lower all filters in Scan Result Menu, Quality check and Outlier removal. You will have more 3D points and a bit lower precision. You can experiment to find a perfect balance.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation