cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Slate 7 Charging Port Broken

HP Recommended

So my son told his HP Slate would not charge.  While examining it a piece fell out of the charging port.  I checked with a local repair and they wanted to charge me $134.00 to fix it, I dont think so.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Level 15
16,197 14,957 1,034 2,068
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try asking HP to repair it for you - what have you got to lose?

Mention the fact that there have been over 100 others posts from other owners who have suffered the same fate!  I'm going to tag your post with the same tag:  slate7_pwr

To contact HP directly, click this link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Outside the USA: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Highlighted
Level 3
19 18 0 25
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wyrenut,

I spoke to an HP rep 2 days ago and basically the answer was "too bad, so sad, not my problem, you must have abused the charging port." I am extremely disappointed by HP's lack of response for this global problem. I did mention to check the support forum messages and he will find that this is a global problem. I think the charging port is not one built will the utmost quality in mind.

The thing that I resented the most about the "user created problem" is that this is just a tech support canned answer. I've had 2 cell phones with this type of charger port for several years and never have had this problem at all. In fact, I have never had a charging port problem with any electronic device that I've had over the past several decades.

As suggested by a friend, I went to a cell phone fixit store. They cannot even get the replacement part from HP or anywhere in the US. WHat was suggested is to buy one from eBay and use it for parts. They would do the replacement, but could not garantee that it would work or give me a warranty.

So, at this writing, with my dead HP Slate 7 in hand, I think I will make a wind chime out of it. I can attach some old memory cards from it and listen to the "dink" sound from the wind making the parts collide with one another. It will be a reminder to me that when I need to buy another electronic product,  "just blow it off", that is, the idea of buying another  HP product!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
16,197 14,957 1,034 2,068
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@YoElaine   @Kevin52 

Very sorry to hear how HP handled things.  Unfortunately, warranties do expire and not every HP tablet undergoes this failure.  This failure is not specific to HP; if you view posts for other tablet forums you will find micro-USB failures listed there also.

I have tested several HP Android tablets for them (which I receive for my participation here on the Forum) and have seen this failure in one of the tablets.   

Before committing the tablet to the elements, let me see if I can get some internal attention to your issues.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,313 1,924 22 75
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @YoElaine and @Kevin52 ,

I have sent your issue to be escalated and do check your private message when a HP employee reaches out to you.

Best,

Russ

I worked for HP.
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks Russ. I talked to customer support and no warranty so she transferred me to parts who sent me a schematic to get the part number. You have to order the battery that comes with the cable even though I just need the cable. It said it was for dealers only but I still sent an email with the part number and how do I order. Have not gotten a response.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
19 18 0 25
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Russ!

Kevin 52,

According to the "how to" change the charging port, the battery needs to be removed and is a separate component from the charging port. Don't know why they would require you to buy another battery.

Have been doing more research, as I have not given up hope yet.

Found on eBay, a guy that fixes these for $29.95. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-Service-for-the-micro-usb-CHARGING-Port-for-the-HP-SLATE-7-2800-table...

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 1
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I was assigned a case worker and after about two weeks I ran into a dead end.  He offered to do a trade for $140.00ish and that HP does not send parts to individuals.  I declined and told him I could get it fixed locally for ten bucks cheaper and that I still didnt want to pay that much.  Hummm still searching for the part.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
19 18 0 25
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There are some in the UK, but they won't ship to the US. On eBay, there are piece parts for just the connector itself, no flex for less than $10. You'd have to solder it to the flex connector.

I've gone through the same adventure that you did @Kevin52 and ended up with the same "options". I don't feel comfortable sending my Slate with all my data back for an exchange.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation