Level 2
21 17 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Dual VR headsets on a Z820

HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi - im thinking about how to setup my z820 to run two VR headsets simultaneously.

with:-

• two xeon v2690v1 processors,
  • 64MB RAM,
  •  seperate SSD HDs ( theoretically running their own OS- hence theoretically two PCs in one?), 
  • and two Gigabyte 1080 xtreme GPU cards (run in SLI mode?),
  • and either two Oculus rifts, or one oculus and one HTC vive.

Im wondering if anyone here might know how I might be able to set the PC to do this?

Ive seen some online demos of workstations that have been built by nVidia that can do this (hence negating having to have two seperate PCs networked to run two VR Headsets)...

Any advice ?

Ps - im using this workstation for Game development/3D rendering - not just gaming.

1 REPLY 1
iMaxx
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 29 240
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THis would be a fun thing to try, for sure!

I believe you can run two VR heads ets on one unit, but it takes some work. (Haven't tried it myself.)

You've need a virtual machine for the second OS.

The Z820 will take two 1080's, but they cannot be put into SLI. (Our workstations only allow Quadro's to be put in that mode.) But you could dedicate one card to the main OS and the second to the Virtual machine?

The biggest hurdle will be the tracking of the two VR units. As you've said, I've seen videos of it being done, but we haven't tried that here.... yet... 😉

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation