rchris494
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP z420 workstation boid downgrade

HP Recommended
HP z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded to the bios 3.92. I have been trying for several days to downgrade the bios to 3.91. I have downloaded the 3.91 bios from the support website and tried to flash it by system utilities when you hit the esc key. I have gone into the bios it’s self and tired that way as well. It says it was successful, but when I reboot the computer it still has the 3.92 bios. I tried the windows bios utility and it fails.

Is there any way to downgrade the bios back to 3.91? is there some setting preventing me from doing this?

9 REPLIES 9
joselso
Level 4
109 93 5 17
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I am about to upgrade my HP Z820 BIOS from 3.91 to the latest 3.92, may I ask what is your reason for trying to downgrade back to 3.91?

Did you encounter any specific issues with the 3.92 BIOS?

Please advise.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
rchris494
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i am trying to figure out why my lan that is 1gb full duplex went from 100 mb/s transfer betweem my windows 7 pc to my linux pc down to 33 mb/s

everything was working just fine prior to the bios update.  both computers are hp z420 systems and i updated the bios on both now i barely see 33mb/s speeds between the two computers on an internal lan setup.

the only thing i can think of is the bios update caused the systems to slow down. i even reinstalled windows 7 to see if that was the problem and it was no change. I am trying to avoid the linux install again due to having too much to reconfigure.

so i am looking to downgrade the bios back to 3.91 to see if that fixes the problem.

DGroves
Level 11
4,683 4,657 440 987
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the bios upgrade has nothing to do with your lan link speeds, either check you lan cables or network devices/lan cards

settings along with your computers bios network settings if the system motherboard has a onboard lan 

next, not every system 's bios can be downgraded please read the "readme" file that came with your bios update

it will state if a rollback to a earler ver is not allowed

rchris494
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The reason why I want to roll back is irrelevant to the question. Nowhere in the readme or help file in the bios does it state you can’t roll back.

and no, the windows key + b and the power button doesn't work either.

I prefer answers from real HP support and not turning this into another A.D.D. thread.

DGroves
Level 11
4,683 4,657 440 987
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

as the main web page of this forum states " this is a user  to user forum"  and since you don't want our help or to talk to us  i recomend you leave this forum and go elsewhere since it seems all you want to do is leave insulting replys to people who

took time to help you

ps: don't let the door hit you on the  rear, as you leave!  

igorwhite
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.
Updated bios before 3.92
The system began to work much slower
How to downgrade the BIOS version 3.91

MtothaJ
Level 6
333 321 20 104
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@igorwhitewrote:

I have the same problem.
Updated bios before 3.92
The system began to work much slower
How to downgrade the BIOS version 3.91

The 3.92 bios has the Spectre / Meltdown microcode fixes - the often reported side effect of those fixes is that the system performance suffers as a result. I can confirm that I have first hand experienced this on a Asus P9X79 Pro board + Xeon E5-1650v2 and have since gone back to the latest microcodes pre the Spectre Meltdown fix.

If you can't downgrade the bios through the normal HP tools or from within bios it is possible that HP has locked this possibility out. In that case there is nothing you can do apart from flashing the chip yourself with an external SPI programmer.

rchris494
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yeah it seems like they have a lock on downgrading the bios. i have used all of their tools to attempt a downgrade and nothing seems to work. the only thing i can conclude is they have it locked out so you can't.

the best option is not to upgrade unless you really want to for other reasons.

BambiBoomZ
Level 7
720 691 46 193
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rchris494,

In early March I  upgraded the BIOS on a z620 (E5-1680 V2 /64GB / Quadro P2000  Z Turbo Drive 256GB from 3.91 to 3.92.  It turns out that it that v.3.92 was quite new, and as a result of  failure in the upgrade process, the BIOS was corrupted and the system was rendered unusable. 

The replacement motherboard, upgraded from 3.69 to 3.92 successfully, but the Passmark 3D performance of the Quadro P2000 went from 9030 to 8126, and declined on an additional tests to 7995. the more serious problem was that the 2D scores went from 874 to 479.  I looked at the problem and it appeared that, possibly, the PCIe slots were not running at full speed. I thought that the replacement board was defective and when I learned of the technique to recover a board with corrupted BIOS using the crisis recovery jumpers and USB /.bin file to restore the BIOS I tried it and the original "ruined" motherboard sprang back to life. The crisis recovery jumper is, in my view not sufficiently covered in the manuals. For example, the jumper is not notated on the z620 system board diagram. I would not have known about it except that it is mentioned for the z820. 

The BIOS in the revived motherboard was 3.92 and the GPU performance was reduced as previously.  Thinking the P2000 was defective, it was replaced with a new one. I also bought an MSI GTX 1070 8GB Gaming X to compare and that too was running well below average, especially in 2D.  The secondary GPU slot was running the 1070 at 5GB/s instead of 8GB/s and no adjustment in BIOS (Slots settings) could affect it.

Last week it occurred to me that all the troubles were caused by 3.92 and today I made five attempts to downgrade to 3.91, each one more careful, including in Safe Mode with minimal services and using the USB /.bin technique.  On the three variations of conventional Windows tries, I received a error message:

"An unrecoverable error has occurred while flashing the BIOS

Error code = 0x0D (Unknown error code)"

This error only appeared in the last few seconds of the flashing and as the error was "unknown", there was no response possible.

To attempt to complete the reinstallation of 3.91, I prepared a FAT32 formatted USB drive with the v. 3.91 BIOS J61.bin file and initiated the downgrade through the F10 > Startup menu > Utilities> Flash System ROM sequence.  There were two attempts - and this runs in only a few seconds. The system reported that the BIOS was successfully flashed, but upon restarting on both occasions as reports that it is still v.3.92.  Success- but still 3.92.

After all these attempts, and checking the very poor performance results for P2000's on some new, very fast systems such as i7-8700K and i7-7820X, my speculation was that there was some firmware that blocked downgrading, possible related to Intel Spectre /Meltdown vulnerabilities.

If this system can not be restored to full performance, and v.3.92 is responsible, I will consider 3.92 to be destructive and the system  seriously degraded.

There are some options:

>  One possible course is to transfer the Xeon E5-1680 V2 into the office V2 z420 still running 3.91. In this experiment, it would be possible to isolate 3.92 as a factor as everything -CPU, GPU, drives- would be equal except for the amount of RAM.

> I have also considered the possibility of using the crisis recovery jumper technique to clear the BIOS and flash the system with 3.91. That is somewhat radical, but the system is sluggish at the current performance. If the motherboard will not revert to 3.91, it will be considered a total loss as there is no other factor that has changed. As I run a VPN, good virus /malware monitoring, and encrypted enterprise drives, I'm willing to take the risk.

> What would be the effect of clearing CMOS?

This problem has caused considerable loss of work time and costs. If  3.92 causes substantial performance loss and can not be reversed, I feel that there should be a very prominent notification to that effect so the user may weigh that factor against the risks. If the performance loss is due to other factors, that is equally interesting. I would appreciate comment from an HP representative on this subject.

BambiBoomZ   

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation