Level 2
33 21 0 3
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Quadro 2000

HP Recommended
HP Z200 WORKSTATION SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it mpossible that I could get a NVIDIA Quadro 2000 in my computer with the computer havinng 8gb of ddr3, i3-550 at 73w, and a 250w psu, could this NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1gb gddr5 work?

6 REPLIES 6
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your SFF is too short.... the Q2000 is a full height  card but the SFF only accepts the shorter cards, with a short backplane adapter plate.

We use lots of the Q2000 and Q2000 cards.... like both of them a lot, but they are not short enough for your box.

My favorite alternative for the SFF height workstations is the Quadro K600, or K620 (more expensive and not really faster).  Go on eBay and take a look.

With W7Pro64 you can do WEI speed testing.  The Quadro 600 gives 2D/3D of 6.6/6.6, while the K600 gives 6.8/6.8.

A 0.2 jump in performance is worth getting, and the Quadro K620 gives the same 6.8/6.8 performance with a bit more wattage used and more VRAM (2GB versus 1).

I'd buy the K600, personally, unless you really need the higher VRAM..... and make sure to get one with the SFF short plate on its butt end.  Check on eBay to see how the two plates look different.  And, you'll get very close to Q2000/Q2000D performance.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE,...

for instance it's possible you will tell us what model computer you have

and it's possible that when we know that ,...someone  will be able to answer your question

as it stands, we don't know if it's a laptop, a all in one, a sff, mini tower,

so it's not possible to  answer your question as it stands

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DGroves......

He did, at least from what I could see at the very top of his post.

0 Kudos
DGroves
Level 11
4,491 4,474 408 937
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my apologies to SDH and the original poster, i did misss the header stating the system model

had to many windows open, and was in a rush

which is not a excuse, rather a  acknowledment that i should have not have been trying to do several things at once

before leaving for the night

0 Kudos
Gamers-inc
Author
Level 2
33 21 0 3
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its fine DGroves and does my comnputer have enough power for a k620 with the psu at 250w? and the cpu taking 73w.

0 Kudos
SDH
Level 10
2,274 2,228 211 657
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Me too DG.

To OP..... one solution to answering these power questions is to go into the QuickSpecs for your workstation and see if any of the HP-approved video cards draw more than the card you are considering.  I took a quick look and pulled v15 and v25.  You can go to the graphics specifications section and see that the cards listed evolve over time as nicer new ones are released.  The trend with graphics cards has been that they are using less and less power for the same level of performance as they evolve.  I listed all video cards 30W and higher.

Your processor gets its own rail..... "+12 V-CPU".  It is separate from the rail that feeds the PCI slot, PCIe slots, fans, OD/HDD/SSD and some motherboard voltage regulators.  That one is "+12 V-MAIN".  HP states the total wattage to video card(s) should not exceed 45W in this workstation, so you're good to go with either the K600 (41W) or the K620 (45W per nVidia spec sheet).  Remember, you will get no increase in speed with the K620 over the K600; just 1GB more VRAM, and more cost.  I get our K600s off eBay, used, for about $33.00 USD.  The last couple had never been inserted (you can tell that from the gold contacts).

If you look up the specs on the HP-approved FirePro V3900 you'll see that AMD states its Max TDP is even higher.... HP has some wiggle room with these numbers because their specs are generally so conservative.  And, if you're running a SSD instead of a HDD you're using about 3W max instead of 7.5W max, so that gives you even more wattage to play with on that second rail.

Remember to turn off on-processor video via BIOS once your new card is in and running (this might reduce some energy usage by the processor.... not sure).  Make sure you have updated BIOS to the latest version as your first step, also.

Turns out the K600 is already HP-approved for your specific workstation already.... see p.36  HERE.  And, below are the wattages from the two Z200 SFF QuickSpecs I looked up.  You may find later ones that might include the K620 officially also:

Z200 SFF v15:
FX380                          34W
ATI FirePro V3800  43W
Quadro 600               40W

Z200 SFF v25:
NVS510                    33.4W
FirePro V3900        <50W
Quadro K600             41W
Quadro 410               38W

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation