Did you mean: 
Kenarp
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Questions on Z2mini workstation

HP Recommended
Z2min G4 workstation
Hello guys, I was looking on the HP Z2mini G4 workstation (performance edition), asked the sales agent if It's possible to get a barebone system of this model and the answer was no. So then I tried to customized a very low configuration since I have all the neccessary hardwares on my own (CPU, DRAMs, Graphiccard, SSDs, etc.), but get stucked at the internal storage options. When I check the options of no Internal storage, the 'Add to cart' button turns to unavailable. Even besides my particular needs (I don't really need any SSD nor HDD from HP at all), the cheapest price of internal storage incredibly starts from $129 for a 500GB HDD, which doesn't make sense to me. I hope there could be any solutions for consumers like me who don't need any storage hardware, or at least, lower the price of the outdated 500GB 7200rpm HDD. The other question is about the optional port with Thunderbolt 3. Just wonder if it will work with full speed on PCI-E * 4 lanes or not. Thanks for any helpful comments & feedbacks in advance.
1 REPLY 1
DGroves
Level 11
4,508 4,491 411 944
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the z2 mini is targeted to business "DOMAIN" use where the applications used may be run from the server, and all user files are stored on a server, along with perhaps the user profile. as such a small local hard drive makes perfect sense since the local drive only needs to perhaps store the boot OS and maybe the user profiles if not domain stored. as such a 500gb drive is more than adaquate and is not quite yet outdated (although SSD's are reaching price parity)

hp posts "quickspecs" for this model google for it and it should describe the thunderbolt hardware

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation