cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Latex Knowledge Center · Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
001hbradford
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Designjet T520 36" will not print Arch C size drawings in landscape orientation on 24" roll

HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T520 Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After a few years of use, it seems our T520 has started to operate a little differently. Within the past few months our printer has been refusing to print Architectual C size drawings in the landscape orientation on a 24" wide roll of HP Bright White Inkjet Bond. I am using Carlson Software on Windows 7 OS to create CAD drawings which I then print into PDF format using Adobe Acrobat DC. From there I send the PDFs to the HP T520 loaded with a 24" roll which, in the past, has worked perfectly with vast customization as well as produced high quality prints. I have tried rotating the orientation when printing to PDF format from Carlson as well as rotating the orientation of the PDF using Adobe, in addition to rotating the orientation in the Print Dialog Box. When attempting to find a solution in the Properties Dialog Box I found under the Layout/Output tab that the dimesions for the loaded roll are displayed below an example image on the right hand side which reads "Printed on: 18.00 x 24.00 inches" which I think should be 24x18, but regardless I could not get the dimensions of the example image(not the roll) to rotate when changing the orientation, only the content of the PDF will rotate, which results in a distorted image printed on the right hand 18" of the roll. After that, I went to the Paper/Quality tab of the Properties Dialog Box and attempted to create a "custom" paper size of 24x18 which resulted in a message explaining that the width must be less than or equal to the length, even though when Arch D is selected, the dimensions read 36x24 as well as the example image being in the correct orientation with 12" hanging over the left hand side of the roll, as it should. After recieving that message, I decided I would create a custom 24x24 paper size, however cutting a 24x6 inch strip off every Arch C size sheet that I print has become a problem that is negatively affecting our business on multiple fronts. I would rather not purchase a different printer, but if the problem persists then there will be no other option. Any help in rekindling the greatness that this printer and I had would be much appreciated.

P.S. I could very easily be wrong, but my best guess is that this has something to do with Arch C dimensions being listed as Length x Width versus how Arch D(as well as all many other paper sizes, the most similar size being "C" which is 22x17) dimensions are listed as Width x Length inside the Properties Dialog Box, because, for this reason, there is no available paper size that allows for documents to be "Printed on: 24.00 x 18.00 inches"

2 REPLIES 2
CurtisA
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I follow almost the exact same procedure  as you  and am having the same problem with my HP Designjet T520. Were you ever able to find a solution?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
001hbradford
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Curtis,

We discovered that the source we had been buying our rolls of paper from had actually produced multiple rolls that were too short in width for the plotter to recognize as being 24" wide, therefore preventing any 24" wide document to be printed onto said rolls. Our solution was to trash the old rolls and start buying our rolls from another provider. As a tip, I would buy one roll from a new provider and check the actual dimesions/compatability with your plotter before purchasing multiple rolls.

Hope this helps

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation