• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Desktop

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 3 week old Pavillion desktop and that fix does not work for me trouble is with a blank screen for 20 minutes you end up just powering it off without shutting it down which can harm the hard drive after i had this problem i shut it down that way six times now luckily i left it on go 7 and came back 30 minutes later and it had come on and i did an extended test on the hard drive  and it came back fine but come on HP 3 weeks old i have spoken to 20 people on the internet today all of them have said they have black screens on HP stuff you need to issue a statement saying you are aware of the problem everybody is running around like headless chickens not knowing what to do i myself spent 3 hours pulling everything connected to the PC out of it testing HDMI/VGA because i thought it was a screen output error. You surely can't be okay with people messing with the settings of their PC just to get this to work a lot of people are going to end up causing more of a problem than they have now. By the way, this only affects a cold boot if you leave it in standby it fires up straight away i have my APP readiness disabled even though that doesn't work with my PC and already the web browser is taking over a minute to fire up so i guess that does need to be on but some advice would help this was a £500 desktop and i am not willing to fiddle any more with it.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,441
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Desktop

Hi @Dave157,

Greetings and welcome to the HP support forums. I have reviewed the post.

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Hope this helps. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Desktop

Welcome to this forum.

Please read: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/SOLVED-For-everyone-who-is-having-black-screen...

There are over 100 postings to that thread.

I'm sure that HP and/or Microsoft are working "flat-out" to fix the problem.

> .. you end up just powering it off without shutting it down which can harm the hard drive ...

Hard-drives have built-in protection to prevent a loss of electrical power from physically harming the disk-drive.

So, a sudden "power-off" cannot do anything physically "bad" to the disk-drive.

However, if the disk-drive contains a "file-system", and Windows happened to be updating that file-system when the electrical power was lost, it is possible that the file-system is "dirty" -- due to an incomplete update of the file-system.

So, that is where the 'CHKDSK' utility can be used to "check the disk" for logical consistency.

An "extensive physical" test of a disk-drive cannot check for logical consistency.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation