Message 1 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 34-A010 stuck at POST (bios)

34-a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help!!

My Envy 34 is stuck at the POST screen!

The computer displays the chipset specs (CPU/RAM/etc...) in the top left as usual and the 'Press ESC to see start up menu' dialog is at the bottom-center.  When I press any boot option though, the option I selected is displayed in the bottom right (as usual), but the device just stays here and does NOT move past this screen!

This started after installing the most recent BIOS update found her:

A0.07 Rev.A 7.7 MB May 3, 2017

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-curved-34-a000-all-in-one-desktop...

I ran the  installation using the included bios update utility in the download, and not by making a bootable usb flash disk to boot the device.

Finally, I removed the CMOS battery on the motherboard, left it out and left the device unplugged for 2 hours and that did not fix the problem.

HELP!!!!

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,441
Message 2 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AJ_envy34,

Good Day.  Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I understand that you require assistance to boot your computer back to the desktop after a bios update as it is not posting I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. :). I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you:

• Did you try to roll back the bios?

For now please try to follow both prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2rZhONT one at a time to check if it fixes the issue.

If the first option does not work, then use the USB flash drive option to roll back the bios.Although this is for a notebook, please follow it as it is relevant for your HP desktop as well

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solutionas it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 13 0 3
Message 3 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried to roll back the bios, but that did not work.  There is no previous version of the bios available to download from the HP support site either, and  bootable usb disc has nothing in the 'PreviousVersion' folders.

I did the steps in the article posted (Win+B) to flash the bios off the usb stick, but nothing changed.   The computer does not progress past POST.

I 'm an IT Manager, and am fully capable of disassembling this device if necessary, just let me know if and what I need to do. 

Thanks in advance again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AJ_envy34,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. I thank you for your super quick reply. I thank you greatly for your response. First off, You are super skilled and kudos to you for that. 🙂 Please flash the bios with the same version after downloading it to a flash drive.

This might do the trick fo you. 

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

If nothing works please contact HP phone support for further assistance.

• HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true
  • (1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • (2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • (3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • (4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem as soon as I upgraded the BIOS.

It won't get past the POST Screen.  If you hit a function key such at F10, it will say entering setup and still just sit there.

I did the BIOS stuff suggested above..  Except mine beeps 8+ times and never does anything.  I have a USB stick I created from the BIOS utils and can't get to it.

AJ??  Is yours fixed??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 13 0 3
Message 6 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope.  Hopefully we get some more news soon 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ThreadAbort, @AJ_envy34,

I reviewed your posts. @hreadAbort please try the steps mentioned in my previous post and check if that works. If it still fails to boot back to windows then you need to contact HP phone support to get it repaired the steps to which have been given in my earlier post.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Cheers 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like we are going to have to pack these machines up after a BIOS update to me.  I'll call them, but we can't be the only ones who will experience this after the BIOS update.

I did all the steps above and more.  From taking out the battery, to trying different keyboards, etc.

I'm quite busy and will have to do it later (since this is a home machine that is a brick now).

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 9 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @ThreadAbort,

I read your quick response. It is coincidental that this happened. it does happen once in a while. Usually, the bios update works like a charm without hassles. You have displayed infinite patience and immaculate attitude coupled with excellent technical skills to try and get the issue fixed. Please contact Hp phone support to get the situation corrected. That is the best route to go and the safest one now.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
15 13 0 3
Message 10 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can we just a link to download the previous version of the bios please?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation