Level 1
9 5 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lightning Strike

Envy h8-1413c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently had a very close lightning strike that took out my DSL phone line, modem, and my  HP envy h8 desktop. When I press the power button nothing happens. I recently installed a Samsung SSD hard drive and it was working beautifully until the ligtning strike. I removed the cover and inspected the inside and don't see anything that looks burnt or discolored. The little Green light behind the power supply lights up when unit is plugged in. What should I look for that got damaged and is it worhwhile to try to repair it?  Thank you for your help in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,517 22,460 2,056 4,903
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lightning Strike

@SRX14

There doesn't have to be any physical sign of damage for electronics to get "fried" by a lightening strike.

Recently, we had one very close to our house and our A/C shut down.  When we finally got a Tech out here two days later, he checked the electronic control box on the outside unit and told us the lightening "fried" it, even though it had not actually struck the unit.

Just about anything on the motherboard could have been shorted out -- and the only way you can find out the extent of the damage is to take it to a laptop repair facility and see what they would charge you to run diagnostics on it.

Sorry, but this is just a self-help forum staffed mostly by volunteers and we are neither able, nor permitted, to provide any repair estimates.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lightning Strike

Your computer: HP ENVY h8-1413c Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product number - H3Y46AA

Release date - 9-Oct-2012

Country/region sold in - Canada

is getting "old".

It was shipped with Windows 7.
Microsoft will terminate all support for Windows 7 in January 2020.
At that date, your disk-drive will be an "antique" -- about 7 years old, and will be overdue for replacement.
At that date, you would need to buy a new computer, with Windows 10.

So, maybe "now", about 17 months before that date, it might be wise to buy a new computer.

But, first, try connecting a replacement power-supply, to see if that is the only problem with your current computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lightning Strike

> lightning strike that took out my DSL phone line, modem, and my  HP envy h8 desktop

If lightning strikes are not rare in your area, you should purchase a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply),

and connect the replacement devices to the UPS, to prevent it from happening again.

Under $100 US, to protect a $800 (?) computer.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation