Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Time bomb (35 boots) hidden in HP repair.

pavilion-560

Today, my HP desktop PC didn't boot up into OS after power on, instead, it show a strange blue dialog on screen

"Invalid or missing product information"  "The following produce information programmed into the system board

is missing or invalid. System board (00A) - product name, product serial number, product number, product familly, system

board ct number for more information, please visit:  http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup"

So I checked system information in my bios, it seems product name, serial number all are there, but actually I don't see ct number in system information. Why this suddently happen to me? Then I tried to contact with HP support and it turned out

my desk pc is out of  waranty and I need to pay $59.xx for "diagnose".   But this is very strange, since my PC never had this issue before and I didn't do anything like bios update recently, why it suddently failed today?  So I tried to diagnose it myself, this is what I found:

According to this page:

https://content.austin.hp.com/production_common2/cninv000000000669017/course/documents/HP%20Desktop%...

When system board get replaced, HP should update DMI information.  And the evil part it :  if HP didn't do that correctly, system will still keep looks normaly since it's still in "MPM unloced" status. But it will change to "MPM locked and panic mode" after 35 boots!!!! Why HP designed such a feature?

Actually I've sent my PC to HP for repaire since my GPU doesn't work around May.  So I am almost sure that what happened

here is:  HP replaced system board for my PC or did something updated DMI information but didn't get it correctly. Then From

May til now,   I guess I boot my PC for 35 times, then it trigged that ""MPM locked and panic mode" and I have no way to fix it myself and I had to send it to HP for service?

I ask HP do free repair for all this kind of failure since this almost be fault of HP and even the product is out of warranty. Also,

I guest you add a BIOS feature in a new BIOS update to address this issue:  instead of showing that dialog and wait for keyboard press, add a new bios setting and let system dismiss that dialog automatically after some seconds so user still can

work around this. Other wise, no way for suers to remotely boot up a headless system.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you know after 35 boots system will go in "MPM panic mode", then you should have a process in your repair work flow which make sure DMI information is correct before returning devices to customers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4,305 4,211 242 616
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Paxos

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation