3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 will no longer boot up

HP 23-Q140 All in One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My windows 10 wont boot up, i suspect after a Windows update

it says there are no windows restore points and i had several restores complted before this crash.  I cannot do a factory restore either as  it indicates there is NO Administrator account on the PC.  

I loaded the "Windows 10 USB restore media" an it started fine but of course died at about 11%.  I eventiually diiscovered that the media is looking to retore to  partition 2 on the hard drive and I discovered my Windows  partiition is on partition 3.

My question is:   Does the HP Restore Media package reformat the entire hard drive so that it will actually reimage my hard drive?

Note:  For some reason when I went into settings to select my system CD and the screen comes up saying "Press any key to select CD" the keyboard dont work.  it works on every other thing I tried. 

Fortunatly I had a USB DVD and thats how I got as far as I did with the above info.  Also it went fine to the USB bootable media.  My Partition 2  is the MSR Partition, partition 1 is the EFI partition partition 3 is the Primary..  The ONLY partition that would work with the Windows media Stick is partition 3, which fails, cause the Media is looking for Partition 2 only.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,518 107,699 17,069 26,124
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

In order to boot from a DVD you have to go into the BIOS enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

See this guide for more info on that...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

Yes, the HP recovery media will format the hard drive and restore the HDD to its 'out of the box' condition.

If you can't get the HP recovery media to work, you can always do this...

Since your PC came with Windows 10, you can do a clean install W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make bootable installation media (USB/DVD) and you can use installation media to install.

For the USB flash drive you will need an 8 GB one.

W10 will install and then automatically activate once you are connected to the internet using the key embedded in BIOS of your machine.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

When you get to this window below, you may just want to delete all partitons, create one large partition and install Windows 10.

If you need to recover files from your old windows installation, then do not delete or format any partitions.  Let W10 install over the current C:\Windows installation and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W10 installs, you can browse the Windows.old folder, find your user profile, and copy the files from the old user profile to the new one.

I usually just copy all of the folders in my old user profile to the new one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  First thing I tried was downloading the Windows Tool after I discovered all of the recovery options all failed using the HP options.   At that point all diags worked, and still do, I run the windows tool but it failed and the reason was the windows tool was looking for Disk 0, partition 2 to copy files too.   I had 5 partitions all healthy, windows being partition 3 and that’s why the tool failed.   I tried deleting EFI partition to make windows become partition 2, no good.  I tried several senarios, none have worked.  Then I tried deleting all partitions using the windows tool and making 1 large partition.  The tool finished that and created 5 partitions again and OFC the windows partition was 3 (Primary) and the ONLY partition that could be selected and still it would not work.  I give up for now and spent the near $50 to HP to get the Restore Disks sent to me and hopefully I can restore the PC to normal.  Since I formatted the drive OFC now I do not have the option of going to Dos Command prompt so I have to wait now for the restore disks. So it goes ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,518 107,699 17,069 26,124
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry the Media creation tool didn't work for you.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation