Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

start-up issues after BIOS update

Pavillion P6000 Series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For a few weeks I often received a "CPU fan failure" message on startup even though my fan was working fine, and the message would only show up once. but today I tried updating my BIOS to try and fix the problem. After the BIOS update installation reached 100% my screen went black for around 20 minutes so I shut it off and tried to restart. Now every time I try to turn my computer on it just beeps 3 times before a pause and continues to beep while the monitor is black. What does this mean and how can I fix it? my computer was working just fine before I did the BIOS update. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

start-up issues after BIOS update

Hi bcw5354

You can refer to this HP Support document on BIOS beep codes.

I think the Pavilion P6000 systems were released for sale in 2009.

If you are getting three short beeps it would seem the BIOS update has failed and corrupted the onboard BIOS chip.

Expand the "Computers released before 2010" section under "Beep and LED code descriptions" to review various beep codes used on HP systems made before 2010.

Given the age of your PC the fix may not be available. HP discontinues production of replacement components at some point in time. I think your PC has exceeded the support period.

One simple (cross your finger fix and hope for the best) would be to remove the side panel. Remove and the CR2032 MB battery for about 10 minutes. Under normal conditions this act will reset CMOS. Replace with a new battery.

Try to reflash the BIOS in DOS. HP does not offer .bin files. Some folks have reverse engineered HP's Windows based BIOS update .exe files successfully. It is highly unlikely your PC will boot to any bootable media or POST again.

Replace the motherboard. You would have to try Ebay or Google for results. Best option.

Contact HP to see if you can replace the BIOS chip. Highly unlikely. The BIOS chip may be integrated on the motherboard and/or no longer available if it was possible to replace in the first place.

I don't see an easy way to fix this.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation