3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

How to install a dedicated graphics card in Envy 750-624

HP Recommended
Envy 750-624
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just bought an Envy 750-624 two weeks ago. It has an integrated Intel HD 630.

I'd like to install a more powerful dedicated card so I bought an MSI GTX 1050Ti that needs a 6-pin PCI-E power connector.

The PSU of this computer does not have such a connector but a SATA so I bought a SATA-to-PCIE adapter.

But as long as I connect the power to the card, the computer is competely out of power. Even the power led on the back becomes off.

It's a 300W PSU. Although that meets the minimum requirement of GTX 1050Ti, I guess I still need to get a new PSU with probably 600W.

Before I order the PSU, I try to insert an old PCI-E card which does not need any additional power supply, to check whether it works. The card works perfectly in another HP desktop I bought a few years ago.

Then, as long as that card is in the slot, the monitor is blank, no matter whether it's connected to the card, or to the integrated 630.

After some research on the internet, I tried the solution of disabling the driver of 630. It does not work.

I also tried to change primary display device in BIOS as somebody suggested. But I just could not find that option in the BIOS.

Please help! Any advice/suggestion is highly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 666
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the old graphics card is not getting recognized

Please follow the below steps

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take 2 or more hours to complete.

Let me know, how it goes.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
wypc
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788,

Thanks for the tip.

I did not try your suggestion but I was able to solve the issue yesterday in another way.

It turned out a BIOS setup thing and all I need is to disable the secure boot and enable the legacy boot procedure. Then the card in PCI-E slot can be recognized. 

0 Kudos
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 666
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @wypc,

I'm glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Please get back to us if you need any help, it is a great place to find answers. 

Have a great day.

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
kfcorrigan
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this same computer and same graphics card. Where is the best place to get the SATA to PCIe adapter. It sounds like I'm going to need one.

0 Kudos
wypc
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

you can buy the adapter in Frys or online store like Amazon.

you have to pay attention on which dedicated graphics card you have. Most likely the PSU coming with the computer does not have enough power so you may have to change to a more powerful one....

0 Kudos
kfcorrigan
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks!

0 Kudos
thomasmb
3 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

what    dedicated graphics card     to get   for  a   envy   750-624   with the  300  Psu

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation