cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
IMarks Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct recovery package for my computer?

I've received a "your order has shipped" robot email from HP saying that my recovery disks are on their way. The shipment is described as model #B7C92AV, and my computer is a HP Pavilion P6310Y. However, the email references a completely different computer model (although the serial number appears to be correct).

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct recovery package for my computer? I find HP's website completely impossible to navigate - it looks good but as for usability it's a train wreck.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Provost Provost
Provost
104,565 98,538 15,342 23,584
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I guess you will just have to wait and see...

According to this site, the recovery disk set should be part # BR329AV.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/productdetails.aspx?ID=14480

0 Kudos
IMarks Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul. I think you're probably right.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if the set you get from HP works. 

I hope it does.

0 Kudos
IMarks Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, the disks arrived today, which is good, but they did not succeed in repairing the corrupted OS, nor could I use them to reinstall the OS.

I got the following message:

Recovery Manager could not restore your computer to the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code: 0xe0e0003.

I suspect that the reason the restoration failed is that the recovery media is keyed to the to particular model number of computer being restored, and I believe the nice people at HP sent me the disks for the wrong model. My computer is a HP Pavilion P6310Y, and the "part number" of the recovery disks they sent me is B7C92AV.

Does anyone here have the ear of someone at HP who could look into this? Thanks as always.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
10,650 9,432 1,669 4,691
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't work for HP but because I can see you are frustrated with your experiences, I have submitted your post to a HP forum moderator for escalation.  Please check your PM (private message) inbox for possible messages concern your issues. To check for private messages, click on the "envelope" next to your screen name and the "Sign-Out" link.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
0 Kudos
IMarks Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Jack.

After I posted my last message, I decided to call the HP technical support number listed on the packing slip that came with the recovery disks I received. I figured I had nothing to lose, and if I were prompted to entere a credit card number I could just hang up.

I spent a total of 55 minutes on the phone with a customer service rep based (I think) in India. I can't really fault him as he was obviously following procedure and was polite to a fault, but I wish the call could have been shorter. Anyway, after much reading and re-reading of serial numbers, order numbers, build numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, and shipping addresses, and a pitch to purchase additional warranty coverage for my out-of-warranty computer, I was told that the disks I had received were in fact correct for my computer and operating system, and that based on the error message I received the fault was with my computer and not the software.

This was bad news, of course, although I actually feel some relief at knowing that the computer is at fault. I had heard through the grapevine (i.e., the internet) that this particular series of Pavilion computers was troubleprone and it seems that I got one of the ones with a faulty Pegatron motherboard.

There is some irony here, as this was one of the few computers I've purchased new, and the only one I've ever bought on impulse (a very costly impulse, it seems). Over the years I've upgraded about a dozen computers, and just in the past few months I've built two computers from the ground up using mostly used and recycled parts - and they work flawlessly. Yet this Pavilion was dead stock and had never seen anything but light use.

I'm now mulling over purchasing another motherboard (from a better manufacturer) and using the Pavilion's processor, CPU cooler, and 6 gigs of RAM in it. And of course I can always install the Pavilion's 1 terrabyte drive in another computer after a reformat (I'll probably do that tonight).

All in all, this has taught me to stay away from "consumer-grade" computers in the future. Can't say that I'm a huge fan of the AMD processors either, but since I've already paid for this one (a quad core, and it's quite fast) I'd might as well recycle it into a new computer. I don't know if I'll be able to use the recovery disks to install Windows 7 on whatever I construct using it, even though it seems to me I should be entitled to do so. Oh, well.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Sorry the disks didn't work.

You may as well try making your own Windows 7 installation media  and use that to install W7 on your PC.

If that doesn't work, then there probably is something wrong with your PC.

However, I think this will work for you...

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link and instructions below. You need a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

0 Kudos
IMarks Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, Paul -

That's a fantastic idea, and thank you for all the concise, clearly-stated information. My COA sticker is in perfect condition (I purchased the computer new, and, as I said earlier, it has seen only light use) so the product key is nice and clear. Any registration information Microsoft would have on it would be in my name, SO...

I'm going to do exactly as you suggested.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if that worked for you.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation