cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't boot. Power outage while running. HD Short DST check: Failed (but HD just passed chkdsk)

HP 110-194
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

PC was running great.  Dog tripped over cord and unplugged it while it was running.  Now won't boot.  I had just run a chkdsk and everything was fine...no bad sectors, etc.  Now get error message "Hard Disk Short DST Check: Failed"  Cannot get boot sequence to go to my USB recovery to try to recover.  I suspect damage is to boot sector and not to the actual hard disk.  How can I get the PC to boot from the USB?  Failure ID: 60DPTG-0087D-9XPJXF-60QX03.  Is this drive 'shot' or can it be recovered AND can it be recovered with all my files still intact?  Please advise.  Many thanks.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 4
137 136 3 7
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Won't boot. Power outage while running. HD Short DST check: Failed (but HD just passed chkdsk)

Hi there Riffenberg,

Are you saying that you can't change the boot order in the BIOS menu? Have you tried that? If not, please, restart your computer and enter the BIOS while pressing the respective F key. And after that go to the Boot options and select manually the USB ports and not the HDD.

Does your laptop still have warranty? If it does, I suggest that you, you could take the hard drive out of the laptop bay and connect it as an external drive. You can do that using a SATA-USB cable or you could put the drive into an external case /enclosure/ and after that, connect it to the PC. The backup can be done by some software but the drive must be working properly. Otherwise, you won't get access to it. You could try to extract the data via Linux CD/USB. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try option and not on the option to install the OS.

Hope I have been helpful.

Western Digital representative
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Ky_WD, so many thanks for taking a look at my problem...very kind of you.  

I don't think I did a good job of describing the problem.  Please forgive.  Firstly, I was in the process of shutting down Windows when my dog tripped over the power cord and caused the power outage.  I think that may have made the situation worse than just a power outage while Windows was running, versues shutting down.

Secondly, the USB drive I have tried to use was created on my wife's Asus laptop.  My machine is an HP 110-194 Energy Star desktop.  I was able to get my system to try booting via the USB created on the Asus.  I'm allowed to choose the Sandisk Cruzer Bladed 1.26, but the system doesn't boot from the USB and just returns to the main message I get when trying to start up..."op system failed to start so it needs to be repaired"  error code:0xc0000001 .  Says I need installation media & to contact HP.  HP no longer carries the needed disks for my machine (less than 3 years old).  Somewhere in all my searching thru everything that I can cause to 'come up', I get an error message "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area (NTFS.sys).

I think my best alternative at this point is to try to find original HP install / recovery disk(s) for the original Win 8.0 that was on my pc when I purchased it.  I've updated the op sys to 8.1 whenever newer versions and updates have come along.  I remain convinced that the physical hard drive was not damaged prior to the 'accidental' power outage while the system was shutting down. 

I have my HP serial number, HD number, etc., but I don't have the original Win code / serial number or whatever and I see that some offerings on Ebay also send a disk drive, usually nonfunctioning, along with their HP rescue disk.  This totally confuses me.

Can you describe the process and information I will need to use one of the Ebay HP disks to try to recover my system?  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Have a nice weekend.  Riffenberg (PS My wife grew up in Lexington and is a KY Wildcat!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
137 136 3 7
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again,

Never been to KY, but it's on my list! 😉

Definitely, you will need a repair CD but you have to check very carefully where are you buying it from. My advice is to contact directly the official HP Support through their phones and gain more information regarding the repair process.

Generally speaking, this problem occurs because of a memory loss in the NTFS file system. Specifically, when an application opens a file that has a lock operation for modification in a transaction, NTFS will interrupt the lock operation and the nonpaged memory will be lost. This causes excessive memory usage and memory allocation errors.

To solve this problem you could start the system in safe mode and make appropriate modifications from there. Once you have entered safe mode by pressing the respective F key, and then uninstall or update device drivers of the faulty hardware.

If you feel unsure how to proceed, my advice is to bring the laptop to a PC company in order to make the apropriate tests of the mother board.

Good luck! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your courtesy and kindness.  I can't get a boot of anykind, including safe mode.  I think I need to take the pc to a local pc shop and hope for the best.  Your input will almost certainly be valuable to them I'd think.  Cordially, Richard

Highlighted
Level 4
137 136 3 7
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the appreciation, Richard! 🙂

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation