Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (238 Views)

HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus - Mac & Mojave & Orbi - Printer stay idle

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I have been using my OfficeJet 8600 with a latest macbook pro (2017) , mojave (18A353d) and everything was working well until I decide to give some strength to my Wifi network and install Netgear Orbi. 

I saw  online lots of issues with printers and Orbi, but this one connected without any issue (on the satellite though on 2.4g when the router is just next by!), the only issue is that the printer is staying idle and I get the following message when trying to print a word / pages doc : "Printing - Unable to startup session, error =-10, 1 page" - Any idea what could be the issue?

I have attributed a fixed ip, reset the network parameters, etc. etc, desintall / reinstall, the printer (tried to install the new HP drivers - got into an issue there on Mojave, the latest one are crashing - Anyway )

I should add that I can print from my Mobile ( iPhone 8s iOS 11.4.1)

Thanks for your help.

Top Student
Message 2 of 7 (212 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus - Mac & Mojave & Orbi - Printer stay idle

Printing to HP and many other makes of printers is broken in Mojave PB 5 and B6 with error message Unable to start print session Error =-10 in the printer dialog box on your Mac. Apple did post a very bland warning in the release notes "may be printing issues" a very feeble action by them. This version of Mojave should not have been released with this major error/megabug. Extremely poor on Apple's part. Given that this is almost the Golden Master, a bug as serious as this is horrendous. No formal acknowledgement by Apple or timetable for a fix. They seem to be as reluctant to ever admit fault as a politician. 

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (174 Views)

Thanks Wilsonlaidlaw1.

I just tried now with another laptop on 10.13 and new HP drivers. When I try to print there is no error generated, just the job disappeared and nothing is printed.
Noticed as well that now my mobile is not printing anymore.

My guess is that it is related to Netgear Orbi more than anything as previously everything was working.

Wonder if anybody else had such experiences? And find a solution.

Thanks.
Top Student
Message 4 of 7 (157 Views)

The internet is screaming with folks unable to print, not helped by the smug pains who point out the bland warning on the release notes and tell us it is a beta version. Yes we knew that and expected bugs but nothng as basic an error as no printing. 

Tutor
Message 5 of 7 (103 Views)

Head over to this macrumors.com thread. Someone seems to have found a workaround to the printing issues that have been found on the latest beta (Mojave 18A353d). https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/latest-public-beta-printing.2131562/

Hope this help. I have not had a chance to try it, but others have indicated success

Top Student
Message 6 of 7 (86 Views)

Hi, 

I tried that and the printing would not work at all. I have restored the files and now I just get the message "printer stopped". I can print diagnostic pages from the printer toolbox so there is nothing wrong with the connection or the printer. I just hope Apple pull their finger out and get this sorted. 

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (83 Views)

Update. If after doing the removal of the contents of the cups folder to a temporary folder and deleting the contents of the cups folder, you have to restart, then return the contents of the cups folder from their temporary folder and restart again. Finally (and this is crucial) you have to reset the printing system by right clicking in the left hand printers window in System Preferences, agree to reset the printing system and to end, reinstall your printers - all then should work as normal. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation