5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to perform system recovery using recovery media

Envy 4
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Hi All,

When I turn on my laptop, I've a message with error code 0xc0000034 file:\BCD advising to use recovery tools.

I've downloaded Windows image and created recovery usb. However when I turn the laptop on and press F buttons to get to options so I could perform recovery, nothing happens. I have one blue screen with error code and when I press escape it takes me to a black screen to start up menu with options to use F buttons but when I press any F button, nothing happens.

Could someone please help me?
4 REPLIES 4
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,178 1,151 69 144
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@paulvandyk wrote:
Hi All,

When I turn on my laptop, I've a message with error code 0xc0000034 file:\BCD advising to use recovery tools.

I've downloaded Windows image and created recovery usb. However when I turn the laptop on and press F buttons to get to options so I could perform recovery, nothing happens. I have one blue screen with error code and when I press escape it takes me to a black screen to start up menu with options to use F buttons but when I press any F button, nothing happens.

Could someone please help me?

Hi paulvandyk,

Is there an Automatic repair thingy flahsing on the screen afterwards? If so then try these steps.

Since Automatic Repair fails to repair your PC, now select "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot" and try these steps:
b.Select "Advanced options" and then select "Command Prompt".
c.If prompted, enter in the password for the user name.
d.At the Command Prompt, type the following commands and hit enter.

bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

After running the commands your computer should restart and will automatically install windows update. Sometimes it will take for a while to update. Just extend your patience and wait until your computer restarted successfully. DONT LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNATTENDED..

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

paulvandyk Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately I can't type in these commands as I don't have Advance options displayed.

When I turn the laptop on I have only blue screen advising about the error or when click escape button it takes me to a black screen with Startup Menu with the following options: F1 System Info, F2 System Diagnostics, F9 Boot Device Options, F10 BIOS Setup, F11 System Recovery.

Only F1 and F2 work. If I click for example F11 it takes me again to the blue screen with error message. Therefore I can't perform system recovery.

Hope this help to sort this out as I don't really know what to do.

Thank you
0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1,178 1,151 69 144
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@paulvandyk wrote:
Thank you for reply. Unfortunately I can't type in these commands as I don't have Advance options displayed.

When I turn the laptop on I have only blue screen advising about the error or when click escape button it takes me to a black screen with Startup Menu with the following options: F1 System Info, F2 System Diagnostics, F9 Boot Device Options, F10 BIOS Setup, F11 System Recovery.

Only F1 and F2 work. If I click for example F11 it takes me again to the blue screen with error message. Therefore I can't perform system recovery.

Hope this help to sort this out as I don't really know what to do.

Thank you

Thank you for clarifying whats going on.

When you press F10? What happen?

If nothing really works then follow these steps. Please give me an update of your current progress

Perform Hard Reset

Load Bios Defaults

Perform BIOS Combination

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

0 Kudos
paulvandyk Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. I managed to perform hard reset by removing a cover and a battery. Then by pressing windows, b and power button I switched the laptop on. Then BIOS was recovered and updated, however after restarting the problem still is the same. I have either a blue screen with an error or black screen with only F1 and F2 buttons working.

I pressed F2 and there is an option Firmware Management, where I can also update BIOS. After selecting this option it says "the selected BIOS image wasn't available.You may select an alternate image file or cancel the update". It also says "This system's BIOS ID is F.20. A signature file must also be available in the same directory". I have an option to select BIOS Image to apply. Then it takes me to a file navigator and it says EFI then there are 3 options:Microsoft, Boot, HP.

Hope this clarify to help me. Thanks.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation