Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
509 506 14 54
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

625 d40

hi all. i just bought this laptop and the caps lock keeps flashing, no exact pattern. it seem to do this only when ram is installed. does anyone have and idea what the problem is. thanks

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

The device seems to be old based on the product name you posted. The flashing CAPS lock is a sign of a hardware issue. What do you mean by "only when ram is installed"  ?

Take a look at > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Section "LEDs near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys blink when starting the notebook"

"BIOS flashing light error codes for computers released between 2011 and January 2015"

Are you sure the RAM module is working fine ? That the one present in the original and also compatible with the system ?

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
509 506 14 54
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

when i have ram installed the caps button flashed but when i take it out it stops. i have tried 3 different sticks of ram

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
509 506 14 54
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

i have tried different ram modules which work with another laptop that has the same processor and gpu. now it powers on and after a few seconds the fan spins at full speed and it shuts down, so im thinking the gpu is at fault as i swapped the processor with a working 1 and still the same thing

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

Based on your description it seems the RAM chip is not compatible, therefore the blinking and the issue.

I guess you need to consult with HP Authorized service center about the modules you use or if the issue is at all related to the RAM.

Here is more info:

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/store-finder/find.do?bs=SR4&type=authorized

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
509 506 14 54
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

it blinks even when the ram is not installed so it cant be anything to do with incompatible ram

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
8505 8361 679 3055
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

@danny29186 wrote:

it blinks even when the ram is not installed so it cant be anything to do with incompatible ram

But above you wrote "when i have ram installed the caps button flashed but when i take it out it stops"  << if this statement is not valid, then you are right, it probably has nothing to do with the RAM.

The information posted above can guide you find the "pattern of blinking" and tell what the issue is. The service center will be able to fix the issue for you.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
509 506 14 54
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

flashing caps lock

it did stop blinking when i took the ram out at the start but then it changed and did start to blink, then the fan full speed and turns off. im just going to look into getting a replacement board. if i can be bothered as it needs a new screen aswell would cost more than buying a working 1

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation