CHICCO1 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my laptop is failing to start, it shuts its self before booting

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

it was working alright but suddenly just jamed, the curser could not move, led light could not blink. then i did a force shut down using a power button. after some second, tried to switch it on but to my suprise, pc never booted, it only starts( i could see LED lights, fun whirling but the screen could not light up) and then after about 10 sec, it turns off. i tried to intall a different RAM but but it did the same. 

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
9,667 9,581 896 2,603
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

my laptop is failing to start, it shuts its self before booting

Since it failed while running, it could have been a hardware failure.  It could be software, but since the screen does not come on, probably hardware.  Without the model number, not much better help can be given.  If it was me, I would try to get it to boot to a Linux Live CD to test if the hardware was indeed the problem.  Disconnect the hard drive or remove it, and then make the Linux CD on a working computer and then put it in the DVD/CD drive of this problem PC and try to boot to that.

Since it came with Windows 8.1, it probably has UEIF BIOS.  Try tapping Esc or F10 as soon as try a start.  If that comes up, then change boot device to DVD/CD.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation