Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (169 Views)

HP Laptop flashing power LED, won't power on. Tried to discharge but still the same.

Product Name: HP Probook 6470b
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Needing some advice please. I have a HP Probook 6470b laptop which a friend wants me to fix again, at one point he dropped his laptop and had the same power fault and when I discharged the CAPS and turned it on it worked, however this time trying the technique isn't doing it. I've tried with discharging and only putting in the battery, discharging and only putting in the AC adapter, discharging and put in both Ac adapter and Battery, I've tried taking out the HDD and RAM and tried discharging, I've tried taking out each individual component and testing but to no avail.

At this point I'm thinking a motherboard issue as I'm thinking that my friend has dropped it plenty more times as I see more dents on it which could have broken a copper track. Does anyone else think this is a suitable diagnostic? I've ruled out the battery as I'm getting 10.55V output and the AC adapter I'm getting 19V as it states it should be.

I'm asking if this diagnostics seems correct as I don't want to waste money or time on getting a motherboard if it's not the motherboard but I'm thinking that's the best bet.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (135 Views)

Re: HP Laptop flashing power LED, won't power on. Tried to discharge but still the same.

How many flashes before it repeats?

The flashing LED is a diagnostic. See the following  HP troubleshooting document for information on the flashing LED.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01732674&sp4ts.oid=5...

You can show appreciation or say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

I am a volunteer, not an HP Employee.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (132 Views)

Re: HP Laptop flashing power LED, won't power on. Tried to discharge but still the same.

Well it doesn't actually repeat. It goes up to Nine flashes but on the ninth one it looks like it cuts off. I looked at your link and the only thing which it could indicate, which would be obvious, is an AC power Adapter fault. The problem there though is that the AC power Adapter is fine, I've tested it and I'm getting the voltage I need and the battery also gives the correct voltage. I've tried with both only the battery and only the AC supply but still get the same result. Sometimes it cuts off after 7 and others after 11.

I'm starting to expect that the voltage distribution chip might be gubbed. As the Laptop has a dent in the place where the chip is. What are your thoughts?

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (129 Views)

You cannot test the battery with a multimeter and be assured that it works just because the correct voltage is present. Under load the power adapter may not provide the correct voltage and current required for the notebook to operate.

The notebook has a diagnostic for the power adapter.

The diagnostic happens to be the power led.

If the power led stays on solid with the notebook off, that means the power adapter is fine.  

If not, the power adapter is faulty.

You can show appreciation or say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs up + in the purple box next to the Reply button .

If your problem is solved or question answered, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (125 Views)

I'll try and get my hands on another Power Supply Block then and see what happens. Hopefully this is all that it is.

Provost
Message 6 of 6 (122 Views)

Remove the notebook's battery when you test it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation