Tutor
14 13 0 3
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hinge problem ENVY Laptop 17" m7-j020dx

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j020dx N
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Immediately after purchase (Christmas 2013), the left hinge began operating with a click noise. Since it was always a tight open, I always opened it from the center and very carefully as it cost almost $1k and I treated it as if it were the glass that it is. Just after the one year warranty expired, I realized I should have contacted HP long ago. I couldn't access a phone number on the support page from an earlier HP Promo email and then realized that any after warranty support for this HP product would be difficult. I became accustomed to the click as if it were normal. I assumed it was the design, but then the movement in the hinge became alarming so, I started looking online to see if there may be a problem, a recall or a fix.

When I discovered what seemed like everyone reporting the same problem and consumers that were upset and unable to find a solution to this comon problem; I became angry, too. I've waited until now to reach out for support as I have the time today to reregister and write. What is HP doing do make this right with their customers?

21 REPLIES 21
17490 12904 245 973
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@leagleyes ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
leagleyes Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 3
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll reply to my own post now that I've been contacted by HP. HP said that the broken left hinge is not a known problem. They said that there is no design or material problem with this model. I suggested that my search online revealed thousands of consumers that had posted or watched videos of the same problem and HP denied there was a known problem (if they repeat that they don't know of a problem, there is no problem). They offered to fix it for $149.57 after a one hour rant from me and that it was 40% of what they originally quoted me (my head was spinning when they hit me with an amount nearing $300 and I don't quite remember what it was). They told me that the hinge was a $57.33 part.

I don't appreciate HP profiting from planned obsolescence. I suggested that I pay for shipping and they install the $.30 hinge for me. HP said they would make their offer good for ten days. I challenged their veracity by asking why they would offer me a discount to fix it if they were completely in the right and the broken hinge was my problem. I still think that it is a good question. It looks like I have to tear the Envy laptop 17 m7-j020dx apart and drill through the case and install a hinge with nuts and bolts. I will post anywhere HP sells computers (just rated it on the Best Buy site--reminder to wind up customer service at Best Buy for one hour) and make a video and post pictures. I either have to do something or, forget it and consider myself another target constantly hit by just another American corporation existing for short term profits to boost big stock options for top executives. Well, I guess there is nothing I can really do--the system is the way it is because that's the way they designed it. Maybe I'll ask my credit card bank if they want to stick up for me, I'll wiind them up for an hour....

17490 12904 245 973
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@leagleyes ,

I have asked someone from the appropriate team within HP to follow up on your issue. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
GeoJam3s Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has anyone had any success with this? It just started happening with mine. It is weird how this appears to happen just outside the warranty....

0 Kudos
broken_hinge Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I wish you the best of luck in convincing HP that it would be in their best interest in resolving this issue.  I to have experienced this problem with a D7 model and reported it recently.  I am doing my research as well, and as you to have found this is is a common problem.  I actually think HP's denial of the problem is a confirmation of sorts that the initial strategy is to blame normal wear as the root cause of the problem.

My case has been escalated to the next level  of management and I am anticipating an uphill battle to get the laptop repaired without any more investment on my part.  I was disappointed that HP had not proactively established a replacement plan after reading other posts with the same problem.

As long as there is a gaping crack in the left hand side of my laptop,  I am sure I can remain passionate in my resolve to share with other consumers my experience with HP. 

You can review my post here:

Antoher HP Envy D7 Broken Hinge

There is  a lot of internet content regarding HP and defective hinges.

I even found this interesting:

[Content Removed]

0 Kudos
Retired karol-b
Retired
2112 1643 5 32
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GeoJam3s

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.
0 Kudos
leagleyes Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 3
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My HP Envy 17 Touch broken hinge is getting worse. Also, I notice that content was removed from a follow up post (I'd be curious to know what it was). Why edit content from (I was told my broken hinge was not common) customers' discussions? Did someone say a naughty word?

HP's only other follow up response was to send me computer generated emails which ask to give a thumbs up for the replies on this thread and suggest that I find my issue solved. Who would imagine that one day multinational conglomerates would have laptops assembled in the 3rd world by mostly women, and some children, using components from the 3rd world, then ask their "customers" all over the world to help each other fix endemic problems in discussion forums when they break? Reportedly, a few HP EliteBook Laptops are assemble in North America but, $1000 doesn't get you that or the design or glue that binds metal to plastic.

I feel duped for writing at all and sad to find out with reliable certainty that the HP Laptop design is to outlast discovery of a problem during the one year warranty period. Evident to me is that HP is completely unconcerned about any responsibility for their product after warranty unless it would be in their short term financial interest to do the right thing. Obviously they deem not.

0 Kudos
leagleyes Tutor
Tutor
14 13 0 3
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How much worse did HP treat you?

HP hasn't responded to numerous contacts. Best Buy Geeks says that they see many products fail just as the warranty expires -- HP makes products as cheaply as they can; to outlast the warranty only. Notice the views on this thread, there were a hundred after just a few days and a couple hundred now. This site would only be found by consumers Googling ENVY Laptop with a broken hinge and yet HP says that there is no hinge problem. Lying, cheating and stealing is the American way for HP and their business model. Buyers beware, when your warranty expires be prepared to throw away your cheaply made, third world, out-sourced built gadget. The brains in the their computers are commodities and the box they put them in is essentially their only responsibility and they even fail that.  Don't count on the techs that monitor this forum, they are paid to make you go away and are unfortunately, just glad to have a paycheck--they do as they are told--they follow orders or they don't have a job.

0 Kudos
geo1954 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Model m7j020dx.The left hinge is broken in two places. Plastic bottom and metal hinge.I am not happy.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation