Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 36 (81,920 Views)

My laptop "Pavilion dv 6000" wont turn on at all!

I turned it off properly in the evening, then, on the next day I could'n turn in on at all! I thonght it was the cable with the AC adapter, but I cheked it on another laptop and it is fine.When I press the button, it blinks for a second and thats it. I removed the battery, but woth or without it it is all the same! Can somebody halp me with that? thanx!
Honor Student
Message 2 of 36 (81,506 Views)

Re: My laptop "Pavilion dv 6000" wont turn on at all!

I have the same problem with my laptop now. The lights turn on but nothing else happens and it appears to try and restart after about a minute. I have replaced the power cord and thinking about replacing the battery, which is costly. Did you find a solution for yours? I am researching online before spending the big $$$ to fix it! Thanks for any info! Smiley Happy
Tutor
Message 3 of 36 (81,502 Views)

Hallo, I am sorry to tell you this, but you have to spend some money on it;-( They should replace  a very imortant part (sorry forgot its name) , or, the cheaper option, if possible to change some of the chips there. This is what I''ve done...

Good luck!

Honor Student
Message 4 of 36 (81,489 Views)

I have a pavillion dv2000 and for three days now it has not turned on. I have done the online chat, the email help, called technical support MANY times and gone to my service provider. Guess what, you're gonna have to pay. If your warranty has expired you are screwed, and it's gonna cost about $400. They told me it was most likely my motherboard... yay! May you have better luck than I.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 36 (81,456 Views)

Google > HP tech support

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-26984-laptop-will-not-turn-on

I tried the hard reset before, but I just tried the hard reset while holding it upside down as per the instructions and it's working... I think. I think the battery is charging as  the charge light is now on.. it wasn't before. Try this yourself, it may work.

Intern
Message 6 of 36 (81,628 Views)

None of this sounds too promising. I just purchased two HP Pavillions- the dv6 and the dv7 and we all HATE them. They are chock full of unwanted running procs and background services. it is plain old terrible! In order to get these pieces of crud to work properly, we must turn on laptop, let all this crud(no end-user has EVER wanted)load up, then manually kill the crud processes one by one. Then go into services and kill about 50 of those(that is about half of them mind you?!).

I am seriously considering, installing 32bit drivers and backtracking to XP Home OS. People over at Dell are saying this solves alot of issues, with crashes and hangs.

What else is HP up too?

They copy catted Dell with their latest fancy looking laptops. All those neat graphics you see on the newest HP laptops; Dell had those first.

I own 4 PC's and they are Dells- Dells Are like 110% more efficient than the HP's, which hang up, lock up and go grey screen about four to five times a week. This happens quite often. We suspect it is Vista64 bit, but we also know that HP's running processes hog up all the memory on these things.

After reading all these laptop issues, I began searching through forums at all the major PC manufacturers and it appears that laptops in general are just total crud.

Answers seem to range across all possible issues for these hang ups and I personally, believe the issue is laptops in general, which cannot seem to handle the power we are cramming into them. Then there is this deal about driver this, patch something here and upgrade that, to the point it becomes a murky ocean of garbage, that everyone keeps writing back, they never wanted.

Isn't it silly, that these PC makers keep adding doo-dads, utilities and apps, that they think will improve our PC experiences, only to find out they are actually ruining it?

One Geeks Lament

The best of times on any PC,

Dell8200 and Windows XP.

Set it up custom, gaining plenty more speed,

Brand new OS's was never a need.

Give me the old days, when things stayed the same,

Not todays techies, staying ahead of the game.

They advance it so quickly, it muddles the brain,

While forgetting to BETA test in the slow lane.

Top Student
Message 7 of 36 (81,303 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a known problem with HP!  Faulty Mother Boards!! Generally caused by the intergrated graphics!

FREE FIX    follow the link below!

Identify your s/n # and p/n #  To make sure it qualifies!

Phone the C.S. number 1-866-671-7362

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Removed broken link

Intern
Message 8 of 36 (81,298 Views)

[ Edited ]

rooster5150 wrote:

This is a known problem with HP!  Faulty Mother Boards!! Generally caused by the intergrated graphics!

FREE FIX    follow the link below!

Identify your s/n # and p/n #  To make sure it qualifies!

Phone the C.S. number 1-866-671-7362

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925

Except it isn't a free fix for most of us with this issue ... hp seriously underclocked the gpu's for the start so that they didn't fry within the warranty period ... now there are thousands who have no computers because hp point blank refuse to accept that this issue affects all systems with the faulty nVidia chips. 

They must think we are stupid, even nVidia said that it was all the chips not just certain ones in a series ... and hp say it's only the ones on an AMD system - bull!  Don't pay them a single penny ... they have class actions out against them and hopefully their business will go bust when everyone realises that they are not being honest or fair with their customers.

Intern
Message 9 of 36 (81,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

One can edit the "crud" that is running in the background a couple of different ways. First, uninstall any trial software from the control panel, if uninstalling Norton, go to the Norton and download the uninstall norton tool and run it.

Secondly, click Start and in the bottom field type in "RUN" this will search for the RUN utility. Open the RUN utility and typ in "MSCONFIG" This will open the configuration utility. Click the "STARTUP" tab on the right. This will show all the programs that are in the startup menu and will be running in the background after startup. These entries will be somewhat coded, and can be deciphered at http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php  type in each startup code and see what this site says about it if its needed or not  Y=yes N=no U=user defined and X=definitely not. If an entry does not show up on the search overlook it and move to the next entry. Mostly those that will not show up are HP utilities that should be left in the startup. I have a dv5 and a dv6 that both run like oiled swiss watches. Also do maintenance regularly defrag etc spyware removal, as well as system optimisation with Advanced Windows Care from iobit.com.

Message Edited by Wademan on 08-12-2009 07:30 PM
My posts are my humble opinions based upon 30 years experience in the technical industry.
If my opinion has helped, please respond with a KUDOS. If not then please rephrase the question, my opinion might change (smiles). When hearing hoof beats in the distance, first think Horses, not Zebras.
Honor Student
Message 10 of 36 (81,096 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just want to share my experience with the HP Pavilion dv6000 (dv6105 to be precise) laptop. I purchased this laptop in Jan/Feb 2007. It worked OK for the first year. It ran very slow due to all the crap HP makes you load when you install the OS. Late Feb 2008 it began to not turn on. Power button wouldn't turn it on unless you pressed really REALLY hard. My husband immediately googled this problem and found this website http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925. He immediately called HP. They told us that we didn't qualify for the free repair. We didn't understand but for whatever reason we trusted the rep. The laptop continued to have problems turning on. We had to use the tip of a ballpoint pen and press it in a certain spot on the power button while standing up and putting all our pressure on the button. This method stopped working in Nov 2008. My husband called HP again and again we were told we didn't qualify for the free repair. Again not understanding why but trusted the rep. So we opened the laptop to try to see if there was something we could do to fix it. At this point the laptop has no use. The quickplay button brings you to a screen with a windows icon that doesn't take you to windows, it takes you to hibernate and you can't escape out. August of 2009 we decided to reinvestigate the $600 doorstop to see what could be done. In researching and calling HP again, two more times, turns out it is a faulty motherboard (HP admits this) and our problem DID fit the scenario for the free repair but now it had been longer than 2 years and so we would have to pay $400 for it. HOW CONVENIENT. I started researching how much it would cost to repair myself and decided that I wasn't comfortable doing that even though I thought I could do it for around $150. So I call HP AGAIN. They have a big rubber stamp that says "NO" on it. The first rep I called says "sorry, nothing we can do, you will have to pay for the repair" so I demand to speak to the supervisor. They come back on the line and say the supervisor will offer a discount of $259 for the repair. So they are still trying to profit off of my unfortunate predicament that THEY put me in. This doesn't satisfy me. I am put on hold for 40 minutes while I hold for a supervisor and no one ever comes to the line. Wayne was this persons name. I call in again to the number in the link above. The woman immediately says "well we've already told you what we can do and you didn't accept it" when I ask for a supervisor. She finally gets the supervisor, "Donald" who repeatedly says "You can try to "COMPLAIN" to get a "FREE" repair, but I have seen this a hundred times and no one ever gets a free repair so you are wasting your time." I keep pressing and then get routed to a "case manager." The case manager was so nice. He looked at my case, saw that we had called in during the first two years twice to report the issue and were told in error that we didn't qualify when really we did. We get our free repair now.

Keep calling the number in the link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925 and demand to have your case routed to a CASE MANAGER even if you never called before and it has been longer than two years. The only person who can authorize the repair is the case manager so skip that horrible customer service team. <text deleted>

Cheers.

Message Edited by WendyM on 08-14-2009 08:23 AM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation