3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre x360 15 inch skylake, usbc charging

spectre x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi people.

I have been wanting to charge my 2016 spectre x360 (15 inch) laptop with a usb charger since i bought it. I know hp sell a usb charger that should work but i want to use an aftermarket one. Mainly because i want to use a 2 pin power cord so that i can use a folding uk plug with it. (UK plugs are chunky for those that don't know). Also would like the option to charge from any compatible usbc charger i come across along with battery banks etc)

I know the 13 inch model got a bios upgrade last year to fix this but even though i did a bios update on mine i cant get my charger to work. Its an Anker A2053 USB-C power delivery power port thing.

nothing happens when i plug it in. not even an error message.

i have the bios upgrade for this from the 26th october 2016, there is nothing newer that i can see.

has anyone got this model working with an aftermarket usbc charger?

cheers

Rob

11 REPLIES 11
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,088 17,612 1,281 1,920
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Thetinsnail, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you need to know how to charge your laptop using USB C charging.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your laptop?

USB Type-C is a smaller, reversible USB connector that can transmit data, video, audio, data (USB 3.1) as well as provide charging power to many devices (USB Power Delivery or PD).
USB Type-C video modes (alternate mode): USB Type-C ports support adapters that can output different types of video such as HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort, all from one USB type-C port on your computer or device.
USB Type-C power delivery (USB PD): USB Type-C power delivery is bi-directional, so a device can either send or receive power. This power can be transferred at the same time the device is transmitting data across the connection.

Current HP USB Type-C AC adapters are designed to support an output voltage of 5V@3A for 15W adapters and 15V@3A for 45W adapters.

Refer this article to know more information about Using USB Type-C charger.

Let me know if this helps!

Take care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Thetinsnail Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.
The only changes I have made to the laptop are whatever updates were advised by the hp support assistant program. I have the latest bios on it.

I know what usb-c is for and I have a usb-c charger with power delivery. But it doesn't work. I want to know if my laptop supports aftermarket usb chargers, and whether it should be working or if I should try another charger.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8,244 8,112 483 925
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Thetinsnail, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, recommend you not to use any Non-HP charger on your computer. However, if you want to use a Non-HP charger on your computer, please check the specifications and then purchase and use it at your own risk.

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mchalkley Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same question as the original poster, and none of the answers so far are even remotely relevant, as far as I can tell:

The charger that comes with the 15 inch model of the Spectre is 90w, not 15w, not 45w.  If it were either of those, the question would never have been asked.  As additional info, the bottom of the Spectre 15 says 20VDC @ 4.5A, which multiplie out to 90w, by my math, so that makes sense...

As for the advice not to use an aftermarket charger, please explain how an HP customer can adhere to this directive when HP hasn't seen fit to have one in stock that we can order.  How long as this model been on the market now???  And we STILL can't get a charger for it???  And then, in addition to that, we get told to use something else at our own risk???  Then, to rub salt in the wound, the answers we get when we ask questions about charger availability pertain to a model we didn't have and wouldn't have needed to ask the question about if we did, because chargers for EVERY other HP model are readilly available???  REALLY???  What are the chances, would you say, that I'll ever buy another HP product, if this situation isn't remedied soon?  (Hint:  About as good as my getting a prompt, relevant, honest, helpful, and satisfactory answer to my questions here, if my recent experience asking on HP Forums or by phone is any indicator...)

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,795 12,339 1,165 2,371
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mchalkley,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

KevinCaberu Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What is the answer to the above questions?

I simply want a second charger for my HP Spectre 15".  

Prefereably smaller than the 90watt one I received 

Preferably cheaper

I am OK if it does not charge as fast as long as it does charge.

I am OK to use a secondary supplier (Indeed, I thought the idea of usb c is that the chargers will be interchangeable.

Please advise!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
22 16 0 4
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was this resolved and 15" Spectre charging questions resolved?

I currently have issues with charging it using 3rd party power bank (RavPower 26800 Power Delivery) and docking station (CalDigit TS3 Lite). It simply won't charge. They don't provide 90W of power, but I'm ok with slow charging as it should happen. 

0 Kudos
NarcoSleepy Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has this been resolved?  I am having the same issue trying to find an aftermarket port replicator/charger that works with this laptop.  It is a serious hassle having to plug a ton of things to my laptop everytime I want to use monitors, etc.  The rumor is that HP is actively blocking the use of third-party USB-C chargers.  I've always liked the Spectre x360 line of devices, but I will probably never buy another if I cannot rely on them to properly support their product with accessories or aggresively blocking use of aftermarket equipment.

0 Kudos
Thetinsnail Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I never resolved it. I tried a usb c charger that was recommended for the 13 inch model but it didn't work on my 15 inch. Didn't want to keep buying more to find out if they work. Also would like to get a power bank that works with it but again I don't know if they will work with any usb c power bank
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation