Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (2,642 Views)
Accepted Solution

how do i change hard drives in my envy 17

Product Name: HP Envy 17 L8L13AV
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So finally get my new laptop for work, first thing made image of drive and cloned drive to 2 separate drives, 1 drive to stash for emergency use second drive an SSD to replace 1 TB drive. Low and behold new HP Envy cant simply pull old (new) drive out and put in new and install first as storage as I was planning to do. Can some one please tell me if I can take out the drive and replace it with the SSD I bought for this laptop ? I dont even care if I can use the 1 TB it came with I want the SSD in there. Before I even booted it up I was looking for the drive. I really just want instructions on how to pull back panel off or keyboard out and put in different drive. Please, any help would be appreciated. Yes I have all the tools to do it.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: how do i change hard drives in my envy 17

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See Page 64. You have to remove the top cover but not the motherboard. This does jeopardize the warranty but HP will not void the warranty if you do the upgrade successfully. 

This series of little videos will also be helpful:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04339451&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0008

Assuming you did the clone correctly you should just be able to swap the SSD into the place of the hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in context
Highlighted
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (2,632 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is the Manual:

Manual

See Page 64. You have to remove the top cover but not the motherboard. This does jeopardize the warranty but HP will not void the warranty if you do the upgrade successfully. 

This series of little videos will also be helpful:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04339451&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&...

Assuming you did the clone correctly you should just be able to swap the SSD into the place of the hard drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (2,624 Views)

Wow I searched all over for that and couldnt find it, lol. Thankyou so much I am now smiling again !!

Top Student
Message 4 of 4 (2,622 Views)

Bummer !! Will only fit one drive !! I should have bought an old one off Ebay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation